Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker Gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:15 AM
matrix59
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker Gears

I have replaced all the parts for my kick start on the primary side and i still can'nt get the gears to engage. i have followed the istruction manual but i still seem to be missing something. does anyone have any idea's as to what i might be missing in the process?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might sound crazy but Ive done it and it works. Put some red lipstick on the gears and see if you get transfer . This way you'll know if its lined up. lipstick wont hurt anything its basically grease

Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix59
I have replaced all the parts for my kick start on the primary side and i still can'nt get the gears to engage. i have followed the istruction manual but i still seem to be missing something. does anyone have any idea's as to what i might be missing in the process?
So you have replaced the one half of the starter clutch on the clutch shell, the other half of the starter clutch on that slides in and out on the tranmission main shaft with the spring behind it, the spacer that goes between the clutch shell and the engine case, and the kick starter crank gear and the kicker won't engage the engine?

Did you get the correct clutch shell spacer?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
matrix59
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Blackcherry Low
So you have replaced the one half of the starter clutch on the clutch shell, the other half of the starter clutch on that slides in and out on the tranmission main shaft with the spring behind it, the spacer that goes between the clutch shell and the engine case, and the kick starter crank gear and the kicker won't engage the engine?

Did you get the correct clutch shell spacer?
yes, this has me puzzled, after today i'm frustrated. now the starter wont' engage. i put a new starter in and it won't turn over. i'm going to need a vacation after this.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
matrix59
Stage IV
Default Starter problems

I put a new starter in my 68 sportster and i still get the same results as the old one it won't engage. the battery is good, the solinoid engages, but the starter still has no power. i also took it out and hooked it to some jumper cables and i worked fine. once it was back in i got the same again.so i hooked jumpers to and tried to do it that way and got nothing. i did replace the pistons and had a vavle job over the winter. the motor turned freely when i was trying to set the timing. Major ??? looks like i'll be tearing it apart again?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, I'm a little confused, but that's no surprise! So you have an XLH that also has a kick starter, and after rebuilding the kick starter, neither one will engage and crank the engine?

If that is the case, then I would suggest that the wrong clutch shell spacer is installed, what do you think about that?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
matrix59
Stage IV

I think your correct. i'm gonna look into it and see if i can find the right one for it
thanks for your help