Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with the Busa's

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
jwarrene
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with the Busa's

Bought a new Nightster and put on Screaming Eagle State 1 intake, SE Supertuner and some Vance & Hines Short Shots. I have never owned a Harley before. I have not ridden a bike in 30 years when I bought a 2011 Nightster. I went on my first charity run with some Hayabusa's and ZX 14's in the group. I thought I was supposed to keep up with them, so I thought I did a decent job at it.

At the end of the run, the street bikers said they were impressed with the Harley...they did not think it would keep up with them as well as it did. I did not know they were trying to lose me. I guess I am impressed, too. At least under 70mph I can keep up with the "busa's" in a charity run.

The lady bikers liked the Nightster, too.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
polizei
Cruiser

Yea...that just means they weren't trying very hard. LOL

Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM
jwarrene
Stage IV

Originally Posted by polizei
Yea...that just means they weren't trying very hard. LOL
LOL, probably so, but I had 5 minute of glory before the hot dogs were ready.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

The turbo busa has about 500HP, think the nightster has 70HP and is a heavier bike.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/4g2...r-busa-turbo-2

Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard 'it's not the size of the tool, it's the skill of the mechanic". I can hang in there with a lot of the guys/gals on their YZF's and Ninja's on the twisties around here with my Low. My favorite run, 12 miles from Cave Creek Rd. down to Bartlett Lake and over to Yellow Cliffs, with lots of twisties and sweepers, mostly downhill going to the lake. I've gotten several "damn, I didn't know Harleys could handle like that".

They always blow by me in the beginning, then after 6-8 miles, down or up hill, realize I'm hanging right on their ***. I'm no road racer, and probably push the Sportster a little too hard sometimes, with scrapes on the exhaust and left side peg/jiffy stand to prove it. But I have fun on that road, with probably 50 round trips under my belt. I know their bikes are faster and more nimble, but they just aren't pushing them as hard as I do mine. I hope I don't pay for it one of these days. Oh well, s**t happens.

I'm 51, and the younger ones give me that 'you're crazy, old dude' look sometimes. They're probably right.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TSD1959
I've heard 'it's not the size of the tool, it's the skill of the mechanic". I can hang in there with a lot of the guys/gals on their YZF's and Ninja's on the twisties around here with my Low. My favorite run, 12 miles from Cave Creek Rd. down to Bartlett Lake and over to Yellow Cliffs, with lots of twisties and sweepers, mostly downhill going to the lake. I've gotten several "damn, I didn't know Harleys could handle like that".

They always blow by me in the beginning, then after 6-8 miles, down or up hill, realize I'm hanging right on their ***. I'm no road racer, and probably push the Sportster a little too hard sometimes, with scrapes on the exhaust and left side peg/jiffy stand to prove it. But I have fun on that road, with probably 50 round trips under my belt. I know their bikes are faster and more nimble, but they just aren't pushing them as hard as I do mine. I hope I don't pay for it one of these days. Oh well, s**t happens.

I'm 51, and the younger ones give me that 'you're crazy, old dude' look sometimes. They're probably right.
What kind of suspension upgrades have you done?

Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by TSD1959
I've heard 'it's not the size of the tool, it's the skill of the mechanic". I've gotten several "damn, I didn't know Harleys could handle like that".
I know their bikes are faster and more nimble, but they just aren't pushing them as hard as I do mine. I hope I don't pay for it one of these days. Oh well, s**t happens.
Damn right,,I've seen few sportbikes back out of It In my Mirrors when I go hard In a curve.

Had a guy on a BMW 800 some kind of Motard bike, dissapear Infront
of me In a fast sweeper once, That was after we talked and he was
shure I was smart enough not to follow Him Thru.
A Motard,,,dammit man he was fast.
In a straight run he had nothin on my 1200 but In the twisties,,,wow

Old farts Rule

Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if your keeping up with a busa or zx14 its because they arnt trying hard.. they are putting around and your running ***** to the wall..them bikes can cruze at 150mph all day long and top well over 200..i have ridden a constant 130 on a cbr1000 with out trying

Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 AM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garandman
What kind of suspension upgrades have you done?
Believe it or not, only 20w fork oil so far. I just crank the stock crappy rear shocks up to full preload before I head out there. Beats me up pretty good in the corners, even though the road is really fairly smooth. I'm going with Progressive fork springs and shocks as soon as the friggin' IRS sends me my refund. Rice burner boys better step it up then.

From a distance, when we're cruising back up from the lake, I bet it sounds like a swarm of bees being chased by a P-51 fighter plane. My 2into1 really roars when I'm powering up the straightaways.

Last edited by TSD1959; 04-10-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: My spelling sucks

Quick Reply: Riding with the Busa's