Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#48 pilot jet on a 1200?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 06:01 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 420 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughrider/desert storm
Do you have a Hammer Performance kit on your bike? I plan on getting one on mine. I’m very impressed with their products. I bought a Dynatec ignition and watched a video. Really helped me dial it in. You have a really nice setup Trumpet.
Thanks. My past 3 build have been with ****** parts and services. I've been very pleased with them. Hammer's got a good/better forum reputation. Both good companies far as I'm concerned.
One of these days I'll change out my cams, I've got a lot of unused lift available, though again the bike accelerates so hard my 265lb *** slides right back to the sissybar.
If you plan on using a cv carb on your build I'll strongly suggest CVP for jets, needles and rebuild parts.

Lots of fun!!

Edit: Interesting forum software, the **** link is to NR'H'S performance. Their direct link shouldn't pull up any security warning. Google them without the spacers.

Last edited by Trumpet; 09-03-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Roughrider/desert storm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpet
Thanks. My past 3 build have been with ****** parts and services. I've been very pleased with them. Hammer's got a good/better forum reputation. Both good companies far as I'm concerned.
One of these days I'll change out my cams, I've got a lot of unused lift available, though again the bike accelerates so hard my 265lb *** slides right back to the sissybar.
If you plan on using a cv carb on your build I'll strongly suggest CVP for jets, needles and rebuild parts.

Lots of fun!!

Edit: Interesting forum software, the **** link is to NR'H'S performance. Their direct link shouldn't pull up any security warning. Google them without the spacers.
I agree CVP has everything for the CV40 carburetor. I like it because I know how to work on them. When I get a Mikuni. I’ll have relearn everything on it.
On

my bike I had to rebuild the top end. A valve got stuck in the valve guide. Bent the push rod and smoked the cam. So, I thought I would make it better. Pulled both heads. Installed new valve guides. Lapped the valves. Cleaned off all the carbon off the heads and pistons. Installed new valve springs from Andrews. With the cams of course. Went from a .60 head gasket to .40 for more compression. I’ve learned when working on bikes you have to be patient. Which I’m in short supply of. Lol.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:04 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Nice looking bike. She'll be fun when done.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:54 AM
Roughrider/desert storm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The bike is finished

That was my winter project. It’s running better then new. Which I never expected as it has almost 80,000 miles on it.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:07 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Ah, just reread your first post. skimmed right past the drag pipes part. Have installed baffles or lollipops in the pipes? That will help immensely with smoothing out your jetting issues. Straight pipes will only have a narrow range of running right. So you add a little back pressure and the problems ease a bit,

Also, you can tune the straights to your application. Get it running best, cut a inch at a time from the both pipes, go for another ride, keep going until performance drops off. Add back that inch and cut a new set of pipes to the +1 measurement, still run a baffle or lollipop though it will help a lot.

Use a proper pipe cutter for a straight, clean cut.