Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If anyone is Interested!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
topfuel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If anyone is Interested!

Awhile back I had mad a post asking about gas tank sizes and I had some people that were interested in trading there gas tank for mine! I was not interested at the time but, I have an interest in it now! So I have posted in the selling portion of hd forums that I am willing to trade my 4.3 gallon gas tank for the smaller 3.3 peanut gas tank. Mine is on an '06 sporty 883 custom that is black! It is in good condition! So if anyone has the smaller gas tank and is looking to go the bigger tank let me know!

It just has to be a direct swap no fab work please! '05 and newer! Color is not a big deal I will be painting it!

PM or e-mail!

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If anyone is Interested!

This is a GREAT offer for those looking to 'upgrade' to the larger tank.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:28 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 270 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a new 06 Sporty 883 Standard with a 3.3 and wishing I had gotten the Custom with the larger tank. Anyway ... would I have to do any mods or will the seat and all that jazz be ok ? I dont mind trading .. getting what I want for the cost of repainting the tank. Also, I would want same sportster logo on it ... I think its a decal .. are those obtainable ??

Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 PM
topfuel
Cruiser

As far as I can see they should mount up the same! The best way to do it is to take a few pictures of the tank on the bike and off of the bike along with pictures of where the petcock and any sort of other attachments.

My tank has the petcock on the left side if you are sitting on it and there is a vacuum fitting right next to the petcock and there is one more vacuum fitting on the right side of the tank and that is it!

Let me know if you want me to e-mail you some pic's. I also would be interested in seeing some pic's of yours!

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:05 PM
hdxl1200r
Cruiser

You will need to change seats. They will not match up correctly. At least, that what the dealership told me when I looked into it.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i got a 94 black sporty with a 2.3 gal peanut tank. I think they have differnt mounts though..................so I'll still be lookin'..........

Old 10-21-2006, 12:05 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sumncguy

I have a new 06 Sporty 883 Standard with a 3.3 and wishing I had gotten the Custom with the larger tank. Anyway ... would I have to do any mods or will the seat and all that jazz be ok ? I dont mind trading .. getting what I want for the cost of repainting the tank. Also, I would want same sportster logo on it ... I think its a decal .. are those obtainable ??
The 04-06 tanks should match up fine. But the seats will not fit. The 04-06 custom tank is longer, so therfore its seat is shorter in comparison to the 04=06 Peanut. The standard peanut tank seat would be too long when putting on a Custom 4.5 tank.

Some guys on the xlforum said they ended up just taking a little padding out of the tip of their seat -- just enough to fit it -- and then stappled the seat back up. Since the stappling is underneath, you can't see the work. THey posted some pics and it looked fine.

I plan on putting a larger tank on mine too. Just so I can go on longer rides and to beef up the look a bit. But I plan on just getting a new seat when I do it. I am looking at getting a LePera Sorrento or Maverick seat. The tank I am going to get from Zannoti's so it is factyry matched to my color. And I am going to get the one with the medallions on it so I can take off the Harley-Davidson bages on the tank. I just want a solid color, black cherry tank with no writing on it. Nice and clean and custom looking.

I "may" do all this over the winter. Need to make some extra bucks. I sold enough pics from the Dover races to easily pay for the tank. Waiting for that check. THis weekend I am going to Martinsville and can hopefully pay for the seat. We shall see.......but that is the plan as of now.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

The peanut Sportster tank is 2.25 gallons.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:50 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

Here's the skinny:

I've gone from the larger tank to the smaller on my 06, and keep both and swap at my leisure.

You can swap the small tank and put the larger one on, but you'll need to remove some padding from the front of the seat. It's easy and cuts away easily with a butter knife.

If you've got the custom, you can swap the large tank and put the small one on, but you'll need a new riser as the pullback w/ built in speedo will not clear the taller 3.3 gal tank. You can use the stock seat, but since it's shorter, there'll be a 1.5 inch gap. I used the riser from my 01 Sporty custom and swapped the speedo's.

I've got some pics in the gallery that tell the story.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 PM
todddeboer420
5th Gear

Top Fuel; Will your tank fit my 98 Sporty? its carburated. If so I have a perfect black 3.3 gal I would like to swap out?

Quick Reply: If anyone is Interested!