Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Law Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Law Enforcement

No problem here with two motorcycles 'sharing' a lane.

"Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane"

Yes. 8-1595 - Same; roadways laned for traffic. (a) All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a lane, and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This subsection shall not apply to motorcycles operated two (2) abreast in a single lane.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:49 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in CA, and my experience has been that as long as I don't act like a monkey butt n front of an officer, I am always fien with my loud pipes, etc. I always wear a helmet as I like my head and it is the law,no problem there. I try not make excessive noise with the pipes UNLESS THE PEOPLE ARE ON A CELL PHONE AND DRIVING A CAR. Lanespliting is legal as well,but I would do it anyway.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Lane splitting here would be hard to do (even if legal) as we don't have a single "4-lane" highway in the entire County.

Nothing but "2-lane" roads, with a single lane in each direction..

In fact, we don't have a single stoplight in the County. We do have some stop signs, but I believe we are the only County left in the State without a stoplight. LoL...

WOW, that would be awesome!! I think the local government just installed the 3rd traffic light in my driveway today...hehe

Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although it's not, Lane Splittiing by an air cooled motorcycle should be allowed everywhere. After all, its the water cooled cages that clutter the roads and fill the air with exhaust.

I will lane split in spite of the Louisiana law when my engine begins to overheat and the traffic is stopped. The ticket is less than a new engine, but it is a high risk venture to avoid the a$$hole who opens his door. [:-]

After all, I could not easily count the number of times some cager decided there was enough room for both of us in my lane at high speed. NEVER have I seen a cop interfere with this activity.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:15 PM
heath247
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to Maximum Sound Level, there are some cops in Southern California Beach cities that have decibel meters and use them on busy weekends. I have a couple friends who have been cited. The laws might be enforced at the local level.[:@]

Old 10-21-2006, 09:27 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

Although it's not, Lane Splittiing by an air cooled motorcycle should be allowed everywhere. After all, its the water cooled cages that clutter the roads and fill the air with exhaust.

I will lane split in spite of the Louisiana law when my engine begins to overheat and the traffic is stopped. The ticket is less than a new engine, but it is a high risk venture to avoid the a$$hole who opens his door. [:-]

After all, I could not easily count the number of times some cager decided there was enough room for both of us in my lane at high speed. NEVER have I seen a cop interfere with this activity.
Lane Splitting in New Orleans... on a bike?.... Heck, I'm afraid to share the interstate with most of those cagers....

Charlie D.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some things are only illegal if'n ya get caught! Tim

Old 10-21-2006, 12:42 PM
bikecop40
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being involved in law enforcement, unless I'm dispatched to an area where there is a complaint of loud noise or the rider is being a total jerk in front of me we don't realy pursue the noise issue. It's when there are other factors the come into play ( an accident, speeding, O.U.I.L.)(drinking) ect. that's where the bike usually gets a ride to the impound yard and we write up any violations pretaing to the bike and operator, then it's up to the judge what needs to done to make the bike street leagl.

D/C
Central Mi area

Old 10-21-2006, 01:04 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that, bikecopy40. Makes a lot of sense.