Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 wider rear tire???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand, but it's the truth. He should have bought a Rocker if he wanted a big back tire.

These are cheap Sportsters. Bar hoppers, cruisers, commuters, whatever you wanna call them. Youngsters want the BIG back tire. Grown-ups are concerned with power, reliability and maintanence.

It's the "I have a small dick, but want a bad-*** machine" phenomenon. It's science. This guy is gonna have to buy a new wheel, tire, swingarm, sprocket, fender, frame extenders, blah, blah, blah.

Invest the money into a 1200 conversion if you wanna waste your dough THAT bad. I bet one of three things....

A. He's under 21

B. He's from overseas

C. Both A & B

Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
I understand, but it's the truth. He should have bought a Rocker if he wanted a big back tire.

These are cheap Sportsters. Bar hoppers, cruisers, commuters, whatever you wanna call them. Youngsters want the BIG back tire. Grown-ups are concerned with power, reliability and maintanence.

It's the "I have a small dick, but want a bad-*** machine" phenomenon. It's science. This guy is gonna have to buy a new wheel, tire, swingarm, sprocket, fender, frame extenders, blah, blah, blah.

Invest the money into a 1200 conversion if you wanna waste your dough THAT bad. I bet one of three things....

A. He's under 21

B. He's from overseas

C. Both A & B
You may be completely off base or you may be spot on with your analysis but I don't see where it is your job to profess it.

I don't see anyone on here telling you that your bike or ideas are hideous and I'm sure that there are ppl that think it.

It's common courtesy.

If it's what he wants to do the let him be.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
You may be completely off base or you may be spot on with your analysis but I don't see where it is your job to profess it.

I don't see anyone on here telling you that your bike or ideas are hideous and I'm sure that there are ppl that think it.

It's common courtesy.

If it's what he wants to do the let him be.
MREED - I have had people talk major **** on my bike. But it's all good. I appreciated tough criticism. I encourage it....

It doesn't bother me. This is an opinionated site. People post questions or whatnot and you should expect ANYTHING. I didn't mean to be tough, but I hate nit-wits.

I say what I want. If he wants a sugar-coated response, he should have asked his best friend or his mom. I tell my opinion. And my opinion is, a wide tire on a sportster defeats the purpose/meaning of this type of bike. He bought an $8,000 bike - that's what he got. If he spent more, instead of taking shortcuts and being cheap, he could have maybe gotten what he really wanted.

Skinny tires kick ***. Sorry to have upset anyone. I'm done arguing

Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

O.P. you'll need to look for a wide tire kit. You can Google it or check out sites like www.jpcycles.com or www.chopperkitusa.com they both have a good quality kit but they both involve cutting and welding a small section of your frame if you go bigger than a 180.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 AM
tandt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP....do up your bike the way you want. Keep in mind that some mods may seriously alter the way the bike rides and handles, and may be a lot more trouble and risk than they are worth, particularly for a cosmetic thing.

To streetfighter06 - calling someone with a legit question about a mod a 'dummy' may be your straight-up, opinionated, tough-criticism brand of truth, but I call it rude and uncalled for.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I happen to like the big tire, chopped front look. And I am well over 21 yrs old (in fact, I am more than double that at 52), I am not from overseas (although I fail to see what that would have to do with it). But I may have a small *****, I probably need some dickweed to come and make sure for me though.
Some people like this style, some don't. Some people like a cafe-style bike, some don't. Some (well, almost all) like rear fenders, some don't. But the only "dummy", is the people who think that only their ideas are correct.

Picture015.jpg?t=1302335136

Last edited by kahaone; 04-09-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:11 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Kane,,,,

You Indicated your new to this Sport,,
If I were you I'd hold of on Mods that change the bike handling that much
for now.
Wait till you get a chance to ride a Fat tire bike.
You may really like the way It rides.

Fat tire bikes are often Lowerd bigtime so they are not capable of doing hard fast corners.
If your riding style Is more cruiser and less haul *** then Fat Is fine,,

Just get some miles under your belt first.

FYI,, a Fat rear tire does give a larger contact patch BUT
this does not give you more traction at a givin tire pressure.
A larger contact patch means less down force per square Inch.
Weight is distributed over the larger patch,,follow me?

A wider tire will hydroplane sooner,
A wider tire adds "Unsprung weight" and this needs different
compression and rebound (Faster better shocks) It needs this to
keep the now heavier spining mass on the ground.

Every pound of unspring weight you add Is like adding two pounds
of sprung weight..
Fat tire bikes consume more power,,any mod that adds weight to the
wheels eats power.

Last edited by Osco; 04-09-2011 at 04:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Osco:
Gotyoulooking (04-25-2016), Nigel Howarth (05-26-2020)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:18 AM
Dirk Argo
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself am looking at the 883 not because of the price actually I’m ashamed of the price the dealer said would you like me to charge you more the here’s the deal I’ve looked at all the bikes to me this is the one that looks the best to me price or not I can buy anything I want I don’t race I don’t need to show out I like the size I like the style I like how easy it is to hold up and control I have nothing to prove in the movies the cool guy is always riding a bike this size not some monstrosity but the back tire is a little narrow for my taste sorry there is only one flaw in my opinion to this design other than that I’d rather have this bike than any chopper or high horsepower bike there is so if this guy wants to put a fat tire on it he’ll yeah I’d like to know how to do it too

The following users liked this post:
Nigel Howarth (05-26-2020)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:39 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

If you wanted a chopper - you should have bought one. These are HD's version of sportbikes, not choppers.

You bought a skinny bike, not a show piece or traffic stopper. Dummy.
What a poor, senseless reply.... actually, verbal diarrhea... Information was required - not your opinion... usually a dummy is seen in a mirror!

Last edited by JWCFatboy; 03-28-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

A. He's under 21

B. He's from overseas

C. Both A & B
What a pity to have members like you here... You are projecting your own issues - nothing more! What do you mean by OVERSEAS?? You mean the Japanese shocks the Harleys use? The parts from India? Or Malaysia? Or maybe the new batteries for the HD eBike built over here in another continent?? There are a vast number of your so called OVERSEAS people that daily pray for America, that defend the USA, that have daily contact with USA war veterans... and I'm very proud to be one of them. I may be OVERSEAS but I love America. Do us a favour and excuse yourself from this otherwise great forum. Please!

The following 2 users liked this post by JWCFatboy:
JRider1807 (08-13-2020), Nigel Howarth (05-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Iron 883 wider rear tire???