Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pastors bike is broke down.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,773 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Pastors bike is broke down.......

Left for a ride with my pastor this afternoon. 3 miles down the road, his bike dies, just dies. It has nearly a full tank of fuel and the battery wouldn't hardly turn it over, yet he hadn't had any problems starting it up 'till then. Tried to push start, no go. Bike has a carb. I came home and got my car and cables, went back, and it wouldn't even start when being jumped. It turned over fine, just wouldn't fire. Any ideas.
Just curious how it can go from starting and running fine, to dead, won't start.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
jstokes426
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a coil issue once they heat up they won't fire till they get cool,there is also a relay under the seat that you could checkI believe.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, sounds like a coil heating up, to me. As stated, once they cool off they are good to go again, for a little while.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior

Well, I pulled the plugs today, figured I'd start there, and I'm getting spark to both plugs. That surprised me, I was expecting a faulty coil. So the next thing missing to create a running motor would be gas. This bike has a carb and I know nothing about them. Is there a simple check for something besides making sure the gas tank has fuel, which it does, it's nearly full. I've turned the petcock every which way, still no runny.
Any ideas/help is appreciated. Last resort is taking it to the shop, I'm trying to help pastor avoid that cost.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser

I think first what year is his bike?
Remove air cleaner and see if it pisses a little squirt of gas in the carb. The petcock is vacuum operate by a hose that connects behind the petcok. did that fall off. The older gascaps caused a problem with a blocked vent in them and stopped fuel to carb.
What did he work on last? when I get a new problem I think what may I have done to cause it. lol

Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior

Bike is 2005. He hasn't done any work on it. I had pulled the air cleaner and watched for fuel,,,,none came thru. I'll go look for hoses off and try unscrewing the gas cap while I try to start it.

Thanks !!!

Last edited by 1badbagger; 04-09-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

Could be his boss rides metrics.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:22 AM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser

Charge the battery fullly as if it below 8-9 volts the elec ign will not operate.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badbagger
Bike is 2005. He hasn't done any work on it. I had pulled the air cleaner and watched for fuel,,,,none came thru. I'll go look for hoses off and try unscrewing the gas cap while I try to start it.

Thanks !!!
Were you twisting the throttle open & closed when you were looking for gas? You need to do so.
As long as the fuel tank is full, the petcock lever can be in either the up or down position, but not sideways.
If the vacuum line to the back of the petcock is disconnected or leaking, no fuel will flow out of the tank.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badbagger
Well, I pulled the plugs today, figured I'd start there, and I'm getting spark to both plugs. That surprised me, I was expecting a faulty coil. So the next thing missing to create a running motor would be gas. This bike has a carb and I know nothing about them. Is there a simple check for something besides making sure the gas tank has fuel, which it does, it's nearly full. I've turned the petcock every which way, still no runny.
Any ideas/help is appreciated. Last resort is taking it to the shop, I'm trying to help pastor avoid that cost.
I still think it is the coil. Again, they get hot and will shut off, but once cooled down they will start to work again. Stick the plugs back in there, and see if it doesn't fire right up. If it is the coil, it should start, then shut off again when it gets hot. Could be that the small carb will not pull the fuel through without the bike running.

Quick Reply: Pastors bike is broke down.......