Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

felt like a new rider today... the wind got to me

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surazal54
if you add tire goop to your tires which is for flats it also will liquidly balance the wheels giving you greater gyroscopic torque which will help keep you both upright and running in a straight line in cross winds especially are road speed ... I learned this from another biker and it is impressive the improvement
What in the F**K are you talking about?????

Old 04-07-2011, 05:19 PM
volks-man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u
Look where you want to go.... If the side of the road is freaking you out and you are looking at it you will eventually wind up on it.

thanks for the advice, i guess?

i'm not an idiot. i am not freaked out by the side of the road.
the pic was to illustrate that you don't have room for error on that particular stretch of road.

i ride there often. i ride there in the wind often. i have never had the bike lean left and turn right before. apparently i'm not the only one who has had this happen. that feeling is completely wrong compared to normal riding. that is what 'freaked me out'.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by volks-man
thanks for the advice, i guess?

i'm not an idiot. i am not freaked out by the side of the road.
the pic was to illustrate that you don't have room for error on that particular stretch of road.

i ride there often. i ride there in the wind often. i have never had the bike lean left and turn right before. apparently i'm not the only one who has had this happen. that feeling is completely wrong compared to normal riding. that is what 'freaked me out'.
I didn't call you one. The more your ride in those conditions the more comfortable you will feel. You might try a hard lean angle or better yet applying more counter steer (get really interesting when the wind stops suddenly....) but mainly just try and relax through those times, there will be lot's of strange feelings (tar snakes, grooved roads, grated bridges), trust your tires and your bike.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by volks-man
holy crap! it'd hate to have been riding with you that day.
i'm glad i'm not alone here.........
also, do you think my tires may have been sliding, slightly, to the right?
hey Volks.. perhaps changing to grippy tires will give you piece of mind and a better tool to handle that nasty crosswind.. I have been hitting the same spots with strong crosswind after I switched to Avon Venons.. and the way the bike responds to the crosswind is way better!!.. as I said before the reason I went with grippier tires was this very issue with crosswinds.. I got to the desperate point of regularly applying mineral spirits to the stock tires to soften and make them grippier.. which of course damages the tire (and I am not recommending you to do so either :-)... but the issue with crosswind has been always present while riding around Florida.. sure.. the Avon Venoms X last just half the life of stock tires.. but heck.. piece of mind and avoiding a potential accident are priceless.. that is the best recommendation I can give you .. happy riding!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
volks-man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u
I didn't call you one. The more your ride in those conditions the more comfortable you will feel. You might try a hard lean angle or better yet applying more counter steer (get really interesting when the wind stops suddenly....) but mainly just try and relax through those times, there will be lot's of strange feelings (tar snakes, grooved roads, grated bridges), trust your tires and your bike.
thanks. sorry i took offense to your earlier post. i just didn't want you guys thinking this was my first time across that particular causeway and that i was pissin my pants staring at the white line.

i have seen a road to fear.. i have ridden I-95 through philly... those who have been there know.

Originally Posted by joebotics
hey Volks.. perhaps changing to grippy tires will give you piece of mind and a better tool to handle that nasty crosswind.. I have been hitting the same spots with strong crosswind after I switched to Avon Venons.. and the way the bike responds to the crosswind is way better!!.. as I said before the reason I went with grippier tires was this very issue with crosswinds.. I got to the desperate point of regularly applying mineral spirits to the stock tires to soften and make them grippier.. which of course damages the tire (and I am not recommending you to do so either :-)... but the issue with crosswind has been always present while riding around Florida.. sure.. the Avon Venoms X last just half the life of stock tires.. but heck.. piece of mind and avoiding a potential accident are priceless.. that is the best recommendation I can give you .. happy riding!
joe, i might have to foillow your advice. i have 4000 on the oem tires (bought new with bike in july 2010) by mid summer i may need a new set anyways. i will be looking at avon venoms for sure after your endorsement.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wind ,,yeah man It can tighten yer sphinkter,,lol

Guys, watch the cagers out front,,,better yet the Big Trucks,,
Also I keep an eye on the tree line,,

See a cager or truck wobble,,,wind blast got em....

See an opening In the tree line,,,Get ready.

I try and anticipate,,
Steer Into it,,
If Im clear behind I chop 10% throttle to load the front end.
Then roll It on as soon as the bike settles..

If It's real gusty I drop over the tank crotch rocket style,,,helps alot.

Avon's,,,,I'm considering those,,,
My stock Lops got 5k,,,look new,,
But then again I spend alot of time on the side walls XD

Last edited by Osco; 04-08-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM
surazal54
Cruiser
Default correct tire goop

After working at a tire store, and seeing what this stuff does to the inside of a rim, and how squishy it will make a valve stem over time, there is now way i would ever put that crap in my tire unless an absolute emergency. We have literally seen fix-a-flat eat the aluminum on the inside of a rim so bad that the rim had to be replace.[/quote]

should only be used in a tubed tire ... sorry I didn't make that clear 100 % there ... I had tubes in my tires ... and forgot about that ... good catch

Old 04-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by surazal54
After working at a tire store, and seeing what this stuff does to the inside of a rim, and how squishy it will make a valve stem over time, there is now way i would ever put that crap in my tire unless an absolute emergency. We have literally seen fix-a-flat eat the aluminum on the inside of a rim so bad that the rim had to be replace.
should only be used in a tubed tire ... sorry I didn't make that clear 100 % there ... I had tubes in my tires ... and forgot about that ... good catch[/quote]

I've seen aluminum that was exposed to that crap,,,,
XD

Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Sportsters are high center of gravity bikes and feel like a sail in a strong cross wind. Throw on a lose fitting sail of a jacket like mine and i get blown around *that jackets* going to a goodwill store lol. When i lived in the desert terrain of Idaho, many times out on the road i had to serious lean ride to keep it from drifting. If you can get a properly fitted windshield they are priceless in windy conditions.