Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for long trips on a sporty

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tips for long trips on a sporty

So Easter weekend im taking a trip from Milwaukee to Grand Forks, ND on my 09 sporty. My dad is tagging along on his 03 Classic. Lucky for me, I dont have to make the return trip 700 miles back home, he does.

For those of you that have done trips of this length before, got any tips? I know we are making it a 2 day trip since we aren't in a hurry. I have all my leather gear; jacket, chaps, gloves. Even have a detachable windshield too. I'll also get to try out my new shocks that are getting here next week.

So any tips and/or recommendations?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stop about every hour or hour and a half... every time you stop drink some water- check the fuel (i refuel each time usually). for me a 700 mile trip would be 3 days, but you can do it. walk around a bit at each stop - i like to stretch.
i have 3 places to put my feet on the bike- my normal pegs, my lindby bar up front, and the passenger pegs (yup, i use them from time to time).
if you can find roads that arent just freeway/ boring you will be much happier with your distance i think. i love riding the back roads and dont love riding the big boring road. but hey- any riding is better than not... have a safe trip and let us know how it went.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wanabe
stop about every hour or hour and a half... every time you stop drink some water- check the fuel (i refuel each time usually). for me a 700 mile trip would be 3 days, but you can do it. walk around a bit at each stop - i like to stretch.
i have 3 places to put my feet on the bike- my normal pegs, my lindby bar up front, and the passenger pegs (yup, i use them from time to time).
if you can find roads that arent just freeway/ boring you will be much happier with your distance i think. i love riding the back roads and dont love riding the big boring road. but hey- any riding is better than not... have a safe trip and let us know how it went.
We were planning on doing stops every 1 to 2 hours. I normally never ride longer than 2 without filling up and walking around for a few minutes.

About half the trip will be on the interstate, then the second half will be on the highway, so it should be a change of scenery.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be seen. Make sure cagers can see you both. Shift positions with your dad often. Keep in communications with your dad by using what's easiest/safest way possible. Even if you have to buy a roll of mail box reflective tape and put a big "X"on your backs so you can be seen. Cagers don't listen for scoots. Respect semi's in this battle, you will loose. Have fun and stay safe.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

Monkey Butt Powder - no kidding. Can find at a Rite Aid store.

Carry a couple new mircofiber hand towels - Murphy's law situaions.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 AM
nciron883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ride from tank to tank and break when you fill up give room to the trucks or just blow past them .. basically don't hang around them

Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Proper" Hydration Is everything,,,,,,,,,

Hydration,,,
The water you drink today will help you tomorrow,,
Hydrate fully the day before the ride !
Carb up,,
Leave red meat alone,,
Apples are good..
A few days of the right foods before the ride makes a world of difference,,,

Stretch,,,just like a baseball player,,
Start asap,,Do this every AM and every stop.

If yer right hand starts hurtin,,add padding,,,make It thicker,,

Ride With Intent, ride hard, you will get almost as tired In a givin distance
If you ride mellow.

1st tank of the AM,,,ram It home,,,75-80 MPH
second tank,,,70-75 ish
3rd tank of the day 65 ish,,,relax ya made yer miles already.

Long stop for lunch,,eat a big salad NO Greasy Burgers,,Red meat will make ya sleepy
And NO Caffine, cokes etc,,,only Juice, water, Gingerale etc.
Dinner,,Carb up again,
Drink a **** load of water and stop drinking three hours before ya crash for the night
You'll get a deeper sleep If ya ain't up Middle of the night pissin.

Betcha do 400 miles the first day,,,second day,,,take the long way thru the woods.
XD

Last edited by Osco; 04-06-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the input guys. Ever since last year when I was right behind a semi in my car when it blew a tire, i learned not to hang around them simply for that reason.

Originally Posted by Osco
Betcha do 400 miles the first day,,,second day,,,take the long way thru the woods.
XD
That's what we were planning. 400 the first day on the interstate, then the last 250 on the highway in northern MN.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
ceye04
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
So Easter weekend im taking a trip from Milwaukee to Grand Forks, ND on my 09 sporty. My dad is tagging along on his 03 Classic. Lucky for me, I dont have to make the return trip 700 miles back home, he does.

For those of you that have done trips of this length before, got any tips? I know we are making it a 2 day trip since we aren't in a hurry. I have all my leather gear; jacket, chaps, gloves. Even have a detachable windshield too. I'll also get to try out my new shocks that are getting here next week.

So any tips and/or recommendations?
waterproof anything you put in bags on the bike...have extra socks handy that are waterproofed should you get rained on. also, i like to keep a bandana around to cover my face should it start raining...those drops start hurting like hell...lol

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep the stuff you might need on the side of the road (rainsuit etc.) in the bag on the right side of your bike so your butt doesn't hang out in traffic if you need to stop.

Quick Reply: Tips for long trips on a sporty