Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet for child

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Helmet for child

Need help .. my 8yr old wants to ride with me. The only way he will be allowed on the bike is all geared up. Finding helmets in kid sizes is turning into a bit of challange however. I was also wondering if there is a harness or belt that can lock him on or strapped to me to keep him on till he gets some miles and experience.

Any one else ride with thier kids? If so where did you find gear made for them?

Please advise.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howzit

I used to take my son to school from the age of 6,helmet wasn't an issue he had the same size head as his mother.Man that little sucker held on to me like a limpet.I found him the best pyllion passenger i ever rode with.I personally wouldn't go mor a strap on harness..Once their arms are locked around your waist they are petty secure.He also used to lie with his helmet on my back so he got a sideways view of the ride.He's 31 now hasn't been on the back of the bike for a while.H

Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 AM

There are harnesses available for this. Rider and passenger both have a harness on, and a belt links the two. I'm not sure I think it's a good idea, but not sure it isn't, either. All of my kids rode with me, starting at about five. Kids love bikes, and are a lot safer than people realize. They will hold on quite well. Once they can reach the pegs, they can be a passenger. You may have to go to a store that deals in dirt bikes to find a small enough helmet. I used motocross helmets when they were little, then moved to adult street helmets as soon as they were big enough.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 AM
madchemist24
Road Master

Thx. I did not think about the the dirtbike gear shops! Are they DOT helmets?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jp cycles used to have the kid size helmets on the metric catalog.
My son is 8 and he had ridden with me (just a few laps around the block) I let him wear the smallest DOT helmet I have. He and the wife have almost the same head size.
I also have the detachable sisssy bar for when I go 2-up.
Found a couple kids helmets here, they also have a link for junior sizing:
http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...helmet&Ntk=All
BTW, Ive seen those kids safety belt harnesses, but mostly on metric websites and catalogs.

Last edited by knightenforcer; 04-05-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cycle Gear here in Tulsa has childs full face helments, you may check at their store in your area.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
sask1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldent order online, take them to any motorcycle store, this is head safety here, Honda,Yamaha,metric stores work great becuse they build bikes and quads for kids and all there helmets are dot approved, plus they have all the gear. make sure they try them on for fit( shaking head up-down, side to side ) dont want it falling off. I got my son an awsome full face. remember to ask them questions like "does it hurt, pinch, to tight , to loose, is it choking? they"ll tell you, Good times shopping with the kids, and making riding memories ( expecially ice cream runs)

Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my kid this http://www.amazon.com/Youth-Full-Fac...017649&sr=1-11 came quickly and fit well DOT and not too pricey.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

HJC makes a few kids size helmets. They have smaller shells, not just more padding. I picked up one of these a couple years ago at the local metric shop. Pretty nice, but I made the mistake of getting a black one. White is more visible and cooler on sunny, hot Summer rides:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Y-Helmet.aspx

Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
madchemist24
Road Master

Originally Posted by sask1
i wouldent order online, take them to any motorcycle store, this is head safety here, Honda,Yamaha,metric stores work great becuse they buil d bikes and quads for kids and all there helmets are dot approved, plus they have all the gear. make sure they try them on for fit( shaking head up-down, side to side ) dont want it falling off. I got my son an awsome full face. remember to ask them questions like "does it hurt, pinch, to tight , to loose, is it choking? they"ll tell you, Good times shopping with the kids, and making riding memories ( expecially ice cream runs)
I agree, not interested in the trials and errors of online purchases regarding the safety of my son. Tried the local stealer with no luck! Got a honda dealer up the road, will stop in and see what they have. Thx

Quick Reply: Helmet for child