Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger Install from Hell - How screwed am I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
CYCLE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Easy Outs do it every time!!! Just take your time and go EASYYYYY!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Originally Posted by woodworking1
Good luck with that! IF there was some way to prove that it was defective from the factory then, maybe.

I would try to back it out with a small screwdriver or chisel. Try putting a flat screwdriver in the broken part and spin the screwdriver and cable at the same time. If in fact there was no resistance going in, there should be none coming out.

You could also try filing small grooves for the screwdriver blade.
Given the small amount that broke off and no marks on the coupler end like he was reefin on it yes they will take it back. Every manufacturer that makes this crap we put on our bikes would say no problem rather than fight with you about some small **** like this. It was a structural failure bottom line. Now if he has vise grip marks on the coupler than yes they will say no...any kinda abuse that is obvious will void it.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
MattFXDB
Tourer

I cut the cable today and was able to get the threads left in there out pretty easily with a Grab-It which I got at Lowes when I was looking for an Easy-Out. Now I just need a new cable and to hopefully try it again without incident.

I should run a tap through it first, right? The guy at the MC Shop said to run the tap but cover it in axle grease first to pick up any of the metal shavings that may be in there. Hopefully i didnt cross thread it. Can anyone tell me what kind of tap and what size to get? Ive never used a tap before and dont really know much about them. Should i just bite the bullet now that my install is almost done and have the harley dealer come pick it up and figure out what to do there and install a new cable? I dont want to but at this point i am pretty fed up with it, but if a tap and all that is easy, i will press on.

Thanks for all the help so far. I will call drag specialties and see if they will offer any kind of replacement on the cable. I bought it at a local parts dealer but when i mentioned to him the problem i ran into, he told me id need a new cable and didnt sound like he would offer any replacement since who knows if it was a bad part or my error. Like i said, i put hardly any force on it, but that doesnt mean i didnt screw it up.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
slarson
Tourer

You will need to take the cable down to who ever your going to get the tap from for the correct one if you have a Harbor Freight near by go get a set chances are you need it again