Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short trips not good???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I live 6 miles from work.
My trip to work is usually about 20 miles and going home is usually about 50 to 100 miles...some kind of time/space continumum I think...
That happens to me to sometimes...my bike rides itself onto a longer path to go back home (which doesn't please the GF) lol

Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 AM
ironcrab
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAL
5 min...get a bicycle. That way your Harley will be ready for your afterwork and weekend rides for many years. you also can drink a few more beers without getting a gut so big you are forced to get a Big Twin....

RAL
LOL - Good advice. Thanks to all for response, sharing your knowledge. I have taken the long route to work to enjoy it
more (yes I have walked and bicycled to work as well- lol). Taking off for an hour at lunch would help out too.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Leave 15 minutes earlier and circle once, 25 and circle twice.. HA. My opinion is it will not hurt it. Probably have battery problems sooner but that's no big deal. Put it on a small charger/monitor. Walmart's bell is cheaper but Harley's has better lights on it telling you what it is doing. Better then doing it it a car.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
camoNchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I live 6 miles from work.
My trip to work is usually about 20 miles and going home is usually about 50 to 100 miles...some kind of time/space continumum I think...
That's the right idea.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most accidents occur within 20 miles of home...trying moving 30 or more miles from work. that is what most texas aggies would do!!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,822 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Man, if you live 5 minutes from work just walk it. Take your lunch and pick up your bike for a ride, drop it off and walk back.

Or wake up a bit early and ride the 30 minute route to your work!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem- and often do just walk to work. when i ride to work i usually take the long way... but thats still not long enough to get the bike to full temps. weekends let me do that. if the bike is in the garage, its on a trickle charger (along with the other bike and one of the cages). i run synthetic mainly cause of the short riding, and so i dont degrade the oil by time. so my battery isnt suffering and my oil should be fine. hopefully the weekend rides take care of any moisture.
the way i look at it is i ride it for today... if it needs work tomorrow-- i will worry about that tomorrow!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 PM
snacks63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Assho... um, "people" like that stick around sites like this knowing that someone will read their posts. This validates their stupidity, and allows them to feel superior to other people (us), since they hate something that we love (HD). Besides, negative attention is better than no attention. Odds are that he's never owned a Harley, and I'd bet even money that he's never owned a motorcycle. As far as I'm concerned, he's a moron studying to be an imbecile (and not studying very hard), who's only purpose in life is to create angst.

funny how one sarcastic comment is like kicking an ant hill and watching all the ants go crazy, and dude if you only could see my garage and all my bikes iv built you would be singing a different tune(and i hope thats not your purple bike)

Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I mean they say short trips are not all that good, but if you do them in a car and think nothing of it then a bike is really no differant, but it is very true that the battery will not charge up on short trips like that or at idle so a battery tender is a good idea if you are not going to ride it all that long. Also you might want to let it warm up for a few in the mornings before you leave. Over all just enjoy the bike and have fun with it-that is what it's made for.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn Troll's,,,lol

Quick Reply: Short trips not good???