Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me my Dealer is not screwing me!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Please tell me my Dealer is not screwing me!?!

After a long wait of 6 weeks, my chopped rear fender finally arrived to my local dealer. I currently have a bobtail fender on the back of my 09 custom sportster that I am getting rid of. As much as I love to do things on my own for my bike, I had to use the dealer for this install.

My dealer is charging me 4 hours ($75 per hour) to install a chopped fender, side license plate mount kit and chopped fender break light. I just think thats a little excessive (I could be wrong though). The problem now with my dealership is they stopped doing the Rewards Program where every dollar you spend you earn points. I have redeemed points for products in the past which is great (or at least helps me feel better about all the $ I spend with them). I just HATE paying FULL PRICE for EVERYTHING from my Dealer when I continue to be a LOYAL CUSTOMER. I know many on here will tell me to do it myself which I totally agree. It's just hard to find the time with my schedule.

Last edited by GoGetter5832; 03-31-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:49 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you could have used an Indy to lower the per hour price.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Daniel B.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if they're ripping you off but I would find the time to do it myself. It takes me about an hour to remove and install the rear fender on my dyna. I remove the bottom shock bolts with a jack under the frame and raise it about 4 inches. Then its just 4 bolts and a couple of wires and its off. Four hours sounds excessive for a trained mech. Both of my dealers have switched to that punch card also. Just one more reason to find something "American made" before resorting to H.D.'s imported accessories.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGetter5832

My dealer is charging me 4 hours ($75 per hour) to install a chopped fender, side license plate mount kit and chopped fender break light. I just think thats a little excessive (I could be wrong though).
Sounds excessive to me. My 13 yr. old son could do it in that length of time. No, I think he could do it quicker than that.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't matter how long it actually takes them to do it. There is a book with just about any job that could be done to the bike that is listed that says how much labor (in hours) to charge for that given job. Mechanics are payed on commission. They get payed more when they finish a job in under the book time and then start on another job. That is how the shops increase productivity and their money in the bank.

The reason it says 4 hours is because according to the service manual you are supposed to take the rear wheel off before taking the fender off. We all know this is what jacks are for and removing the rear wheel is not needed.

Last edited by fox4; 03-31-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Default Define screwing

No more than any dealership mechanic cost. They charge by the rate book. In order to get the time for a task they see how long it takes a 99 year old in the last stages of alzheimer's to complete it.

RAL

Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by fox4
It doesn't matter how long it actually takes them to do it. There is a book with just about any job that could be done to the bike that is listed that says how much labor (in hours) to charge for that given job. Mechanics are payed on commission. They get payed more when they finish a job in under the book time and then start on another job. That is how the shops increase productivity and their money in the bank.

The reason it says 4 hours is because according to the service manual you are supposed to take the rear wheel off before taking the fender off. We all know this is what jacks are for and removing the rear wheel is not needed.
Ding Ding Ding we have a wining answer. This is called flat rate. If the tech gets a 4 hour job done in 2.5 then he stil get paid for 4 hours, but if he gets that job done in 5 then he still gets paid 4. A good tech can get 70-80 hours in a 40 hour work week and make some nice coin.

Is the dealer ripping you off? Maybe not and if you don't have the time to do the job yourself then sounds like you are at there mercy.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
ydontya
Advanced

Perhaps not,at least your given a baseline on what to expect.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if they let the OP see the book where it stated 4 hrs. to do the job? It could have added up to 3 hrs. or 2 hrs. Do you guys trust these people to tell you the truth? Let the flaming begin.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

GoGetter; as your forum name indicates - "go get" the parts from your dealer, buy a service manual, make sure you have the tools & do it yourself. What better way to learn your bike & reap "pride of ownership" than doing your own upgrades. Even if it takes you 4-hours...it's $300 saved (less manual & tools). Go for it!

Quick Reply: Please tell me my Dealer is not screwing me!?!