Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome to polish

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome to polish

just bought a set of chrome forward controls for my iron , not digging the chrome how can i make them just polish metal ,

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can remove the chrome with acid or media blasting but then you'll need to smooth & polish the parts. You can try rubbing your chrome down with a ScotchBrite pad to give it a bruse=hed aluminum look.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have three 2003 XL1200C's that have chrome all over the motor and I'm having a hard time finding replacement parts in polished.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mreed
You can remove the chrome with acid or media blasting but then you'll need to smooth & polish the parts. You can try rubbing your chrome down with a ScotchBrite pad to give it a bruse=hed aluminum look.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have three 2003 XL1200C's that have chrome all over the motor and I'm having a hard time finding replacement parts in polished.
man mreed i wish you could be my neighboor , you know alot of stuff and allways been a fan of your projects , by the way how is that hard tail sporty going

Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

It's just hanging out. I chopped the cam cover and now I'm waiting on cams. I'm trying to get a couple of my non-Sportster projects on a roll. I have a list of projects and my goal was to get them all as rollers then go back through & work on each one a little at a time when I feel the urge.

Here's how it sits.

This week I'll be powdercoating the wheels I'll be using. I'll have 16x3 front & rear. I laced a narrow glide hub into the front wheel so I can run a 16" front tire in the narrow glide trees. Or atleast I'm going to try.

This is the only one left that's not a roller yet. It's my Royal Enfield board track racer.

And I just finished this one. It's a random pile of parts with a Suzuki motor & gas tank. I'm painting it now.

Back to your question though. The brushed look is pretty cool but if you don't like it I don't think it would cost very much to powdercoat them black.

Last edited by mreed; 03-30-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser

It's just hanging out. I chopped the cam cover and now I'm waiting on cams. I'm trying to get a couple of my non-Sportster projects on a roll. I have a list of projects and my goal was to get them all as rollers then go back through & work on each one a little at a time when I feel the urge.

Here's how it sits.

This week I'll be powdercoating the wheels I'll be using. I'll have 16x3 front & rear. I laced a narrow glide hub into the front wheel so I can run a 16" front tire in the narrow glide trees. Or atleast I'm going to try.

This is the only one left that's not a roller yet. It's my Royal Enfield board track racer.

And I just finished this one. It's a random pile of parts with a Suzuki motor & gas tank. I'm painting it now.

Back to your question though. The brushed look is pretty cool but if you don't like it I don't think it would cost very much to powdercoat them black.
can i powdercoat the bracke link rod and the shifterlink rod, wouldnt that affect the bearings

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah. You shouldn't have "bearings" just spherical rod ends. You can powdercoat them if you know what you're doing no prob.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser

another question mreed i bought a curved side mount license plate holder that bolts on the lowered shock bolt , and has a holster for a Old ford light , but i would like to put in a regulr lamp light just like on the pics , how would i be able to wire this into were the stock license plate led light bulb plug , and how the hell is wired inside the lamp

Attached Thumbnails chrome to polish-side-mount-3.jpg   chrome to polish-side-mount-2.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

What do you want the light to do? Just light up for running and then brighter for brake?

What light are you asking about for wiring inside?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

That second pic is just the head off of a Maglight. That's pretty cool.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser

What do you want the light to do? Just light up for running and then brighter for brake?

What light are you asking about for wiring inside?
sorry i can explain myself some times, about the wiring yea i whant to wire a head of a maglight , do you have any clue how to wire it from the inside , and can i just plugged it in to were the stock side mount license plate light. and i just whant it for to light up the license plate , california law

Last edited by tjyosh; 03-30-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: chrome to polish