Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason I cant do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011 | 02:41 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Robotech
Not to completely derail this thread (and to the original poster, you got some good advice here already...nothing I can add to it) but what other pipes would you recommend? Maybe expand upon this rather than just blurt out some general and rather uninformative info.

Believe it or not, I'm right there with you. I like the V&H stuff...but it is just EVERYWHERE. I like different. I like unique. I like my stuff to perform...and that's the stickler. I haven't found anything that is unique and a PROVEN performer as well. If I had, I'd be all over that.

There are definately pipes that LOOK unique, but most are from small companies, are limited productions, and I can't find any information on how they perform over a wide sampling of bikes.

Others aren't V&H, have been shown to perform, but don't look like anything special.

So, like many others, I'm sticking with some V&H Big Radius 2 - 2 (yes, I know, 2-1 better...but I do like the 2-2 look better and I'm getting a killer price on them). If you have other options, I (and I'm sure the OP) would be all ears.
nash makes awesome pipes. bassani makes great pipes. python (made by vance and hines) makes nice pipes, they are cheaper and more throaty and look nothing like v & h. or you can make your own pipes. which i've done.

Old 03-30-2011 | 05:49 PM
GoCards82
|
Cruiser
Default Back to the point

Ok, back to the point. Thanks everyone for the info.

To people bashing V & H: Its my bike so I'll do with it as i see fit. My dad runs V & H, I love the look, and they make a good product. And with my bright *** green tank, I will easily be able to pick it out of the crowd.

Now on to what I need: I have a garage full of tools, so i think I am good there. I am looking for good sound and performance, so will I need anything more than the exhaust, air filter, and fuel pak? I hear people talk about a Stage 1 download and other things. I am guessing that locktite is a good idea, also someone (sorry forgot the name before i started typing) mentioned that i need to buy somekind of new bolt (as not to use the old ones), can you elaborate?

Again thanks for all the info and if someone has the time, just elaborate on the process and anything else i need (i'm a rookie). Last thing i want is to get in the middle of the process and be missing something.

Old 03-31-2011 | 04:04 AM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GoCards82
Ok, back to the point. Thanks everyone for the info.

To people bashing V & H: Its my bike so I'll do with it as i see fit. My dad runs V & H, I love the look, and they make a good product. And with my bright *** green tank, I will easily be able to pick it out of the crowd.

Now on to what I need: I have a garage full of tools, so i think I am good there. I am looking for good sound and performance, so will I need anything more than the exhaust, air filter, and fuel pak? I hear people talk about a Stage 1 download and other things. I am guessing that locktite is a good idea, also someone (sorry forgot the name before i started typing) mentioned that i need to buy somekind of new bolt (as not to use the old ones), can you elaborate?

Again thanks for all the info and if someone has the time, just elaborate on the process and anything else i need (i'm a rookie). Last thing i want is to get in the middle of the process and be missing something.
If you're going with the Fuel Pak you won't need a "Stage 1" download. The fuel map, V&H provides you, tunes the bike for your intake/exhaust mods.

As for the bolts....it's always a good idea to use loktite on them, especially when it comes to the intake. Last thing you want is some random bolt vibrating lose and finding its way into your valves or your cylinders. The instructions provided with most intakes, give you torque specs and recommend you use some sort of loktite.

Later on if you do cams or cylinder swaps, you could sell the Fuel Pak after the install as you will want a shop to actually dyno tune the bike for those mods.

I did the intake/exhaust/fuel pak install 2 weekends ago by myself in my apartment complex parking lot. As long as you have a decent set of wrenches, sockets an extensions then you'll be fine. One tip when installing your pipes. To get the old pipes off, without tearing up the top of your heat shield, loosen the metal hose clamps that keep the heat shields in place. This will allow them to move up and down and twist and give you easier access to the bolts that bolt the pipes to the engine.

Tip number 2 is for the fuel pak install.....the instructions tell you to attach the negative wire to the negative terminal on the engine.....unless you have an extension that bends, just undo the positive cable, slide the battery out far enough to attach the cable directly to the negative battery cable/battery. OR install the fuel pak while the pipes are off and it shouldn't be a problem.(Learned this after the fact)

Old 03-31-2011 | 07:43 AM
GoCards82
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dHUTCH
If you're going with the Fuel Pak you won't need a "Stage 1" download. The fuel map, V&H provides you, tunes the bike for your intake/exhaust mods.

As for the bolts....it's always a good idea to use loktite on them, especially when it comes to the intake. Last thing you want is some random bolt vibrating lose and finding its way into your valves or your cylinders. The instructions provided with most intakes, give you torque specs and recommend you use some sort of loktite.

Later on if you do cams or cylinder swaps, you could sell the Fuel Pak after the install as you will want a shop to actually dyno tune the bike for those mods.

I did the intake/exhaust/fuel pak install 2 weekends ago by myself in my apartment complex parking lot. As long as you have a decent set of wrenches, sockets an extensions then you'll be fine. One tip when installing your pipes. To get the old pipes off, without tearing up the top of your heat shield, loosen the metal hose clamps that keep the heat shields in place. This will allow them to move up and down and twist and give you easier access to the bolts that bolt the pipes to the engine.

Tip number 2 is for the fuel pak install.....the instructions tell you to attach the negative wire to the negative terminal on the engine.....unless you have an extension that bends, just undo the positive cable, slide the battery out far enough to attach the cable directly to the negative battery cable/battery. OR install the fuel pak while the pipes are off and it shouldn't be a problem.(Learned this after the fact)
Thanks dHutch, thats the kind of stuff i was looking for originally. So it sounds like the plan is to get the bike on the lift, take everything off, install the fuelpak, then exhaust, finally intake. And be mindful of the heat shield during the removal of the exhaust. Sound right?

Old 03-31-2011 | 11:17 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Have to chime in here to the comments about making the bike your own.
First off, I agree that personalizing a bike is fun, but a lot of people don't want to go that route and are perfectly happy with the looks of a stock Harley. Secondly, Vance and Hines exhaust actually has a different look, a lot of Sportsters are running around with Screamin' Eagles, Cycle Shacks, etc., that all look like stockers. A Sportster owner does not need to run a machine gun tailpipe, header wraped exhaust, tractor style Y pipe system, two into one "sportbike style system", etc. that can be bought off the shelf. Maybe that is not what the OP was looking for. Not to bash them, but not everybody likes that look. I personally don't like chrome on a Nightster, don't want an obnoxious sound for Tiffany who is a beginning rider, and like the look of a nice twin pipe setup, so the Short Shots were a no brainer, and we could not be happier with them!
Secondly, if one were to imply that the only exhaust that the OP should get would be something custom done, then that is a stupid suggestion. He already showed apprehension for bolt-on parts, so obviously custom building a full exhaust system is likely out of his abilities, not to mention takes equipment that most don't even have access to, much less can be found in a shadetree mechanic's garage.
Lastly, to imply (or just come right out and say) that an exhaust will make a bike plain unless it is custom is just plain closed-minded. So what you are telling me is that I can custom paint a Nightster or Forty-Eight, put some hand machined pegs and grips, some custom fabricated bars with hidden wires, ignition/coil relocation, chopped fenders with custom cut designs, speedo relocation kit, hand milled bar clamps, sheet metal TIG welded oil tank, custom scalloped tank, custom fabricated intake, springer seat with stitching and hand carving from Paul *** himself, etc., and it still will look like every other bike out there if I put some Short Shots on it? Come on... for reals? Sorry, but there is a whole lot more to a bike than a set of pipes. End of gripe.
OP, enjoy the bike, and like I said before, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty... those are pretty simple things to install, even for an amateur, and might get you started on a lifetime of learning and working on your own things. Ride safe!

Old 03-31-2011 | 04:20 PM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

Thanks dHutch, thats the kind of stuff i was looking for originally. So it sounds like the plan is to get the bike on the lift, take everything off, install the fuelpak, then exhaust, finally intake. And be mindful of the heat shield during the removal of the exhaust. Sound right?
Yessir.....the only reason to be mindful of the heatshield as I may sell the bike someday and return it back to stock before the sale. Keeping your stock parts is always a good idea unless you know you will never put them back on. Happy wrenching!

Old 04-01-2011 | 10:27 PM
GoCards82
|
Cruiser
Default Update

So today I bit the bullet and dove right in. Decided on V & H Big Radius, SE Stage 1, and Stage 1 Download. Installed the exhaust, easier than it looks, then air filter, even easier, then rode to Harley and got the download. God these pipe are sick! Its like riding a new bike, thank for all the help.

Old 04-02-2011 | 08:51 AM
FunkyFungus
Advanced

Nice work man!

fF

Old 04-02-2011 | 11:51 AM
lildee
Tourer

Nice work....I like the look of the big radius pipes also...guess you decided against the side shots... My husband recently installed my sideshots and I have to agree with you, it's like riding a new bike...heads definitely turn when they hear us and car alarms are finally going off...lol!

Old 04-04-2011 | 03:52 AM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

So today I bit the bullet and dove right in. Decided on V & H Big Radius, SE Stage 1, and Stage 1 Download. Installed the exhaust, easier than it looks, then air filter, even easier, then rode to Harley and got the download. God these pipe are sick! Its like riding a new bike, thank for all the help.

Looks great!