Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason I cant do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011 | 05:20 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

No problem! Get some wrenches and do it yourself. Save a ton of loot and have some pride that you did the job yourself. The exhaust is actually super easy to do, just be sure to use a little milk of magnesia on the header nut threads (works just like threadlocker but does not cook off) and replace, do not reuse, the crush washers. Also be sure to use threadlocker on the filter bolts/nuts, too. The job is pretty simple, and might start you off onto a track of working on your own stuff... before you know it, you will be tackling more extensive projects. Plus, we are all here for support, should you need it.

BTW, don't let anybody shy you from Vance and Hines. I have Short Shots on our Nightster and love them! Great sound, great look, great fitment!

Old 03-29-2011 | 05:29 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Osco
Damn skippy XD

And yeah lots of people run V&H products,,,why ?

Cause they look great
sound great
and are priced right *
I don't even think they're that great priced to tell you the truth. When I bought my exhaust I wanted a black exhaust that looked good. Meaning no short shots I think they look terrible. So I too looked into V&H. But @ around 680 for Big Radius, and Sideshots they were overpriced.

So I looked, and looked and found my beautiful exhaust for $519. I like it and fell into my price range. Everyone jacks off to v&h products and I'm not saying they aren't good but people could you know be original. The fact that everyone and their mom runs vance and hines pipes is what shyed me away from them.

Old 03-29-2011 | 05:46 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
The fact that everyone and their mom runs vance and hines pipes is what shyed me away from them.
Actually, my mom runs Cycle Shack on her Harley.

Old 03-29-2011 | 07:03 PM
Another Young Sinner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Sorry to answer for Sammy, but looks like the Licks solo bag. Awesome little bag.

http://www.lickscycles.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1542
Thanks. I love how it looks. I want one.

Old 03-30-2011 | 01:35 AM
Khorgan
Intermediate

My dad and I do all our own work on our bikes together. We both have Sportsters, and both put on some V&H Q-series pipes on (took half a day to do both bikes). I will mention what others have, a lot of times when working on a bike you find you need a third hand. SO have a buddy around. And take yer time, things don't always just slip on with no problem. You might want them too, but they wont. And when you do run into a problem, approach it with a cool head. And get a bike lift, it helps a lot. Yer gonna have to get under the bike at some point.

Old 03-30-2011 | 03:34 AM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

How can you tell someone to NOT get V&H and then turn around tell them to get what they want and make the bike theirs?!

If the man likes the look of the pipes and everyone else has them....who gives a f*ck.

Back to the op.....You'll be fine installing all those parts. V&H always sends instructions with pictures.

Old 03-30-2011 | 05:52 AM
sorensentyler
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dHUTCH
How can you tell someone to NOT get V&H and then turn around tell them to get what they want and make the bike theirs?!

If the man likes the look of the pipes and everyone else has them....who gives a f*ck.

Back to the op.....You'll be fine installing all those parts. V&H always sends instructions with pictures.
make it your own. with your original style. take your bike to bike week, park it, walk around, have a good time, start walking in the direction you think it and you'll never see it again. why you ask??? because it looks like all the other sportsters there. oh no...

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:10 AM
Another Young Sinner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sorensentyler
make it your own. with your original style. take your bike to bike week, park it, walk around, have a good time, start walking in the direction you think it and you'll never see it again. why you ask??? because it looks like all the other sportsters there. oh no...
If you can't recognize your own bike in the crowd, you're a ****ing moron. If you have a problem with V&H, don't run them. No reason to be a dick about what somebody else likes. It's not your bike. GTFO

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:52 AM
Cpitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Guys......don't get him started on this crap again.....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ines-suck.html
I just read that whole thread..

Old 03-30-2011 | 02:37 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Another Young Sinner
If you can't recognize your own bike in the crowd, you're a ****ing moron. If you have a problem with V&H, don't run them. No reason to be a dick about what somebody else likes. It's not your bike. GTFO
you got it captain.

Quick Reply: Any reason I cant do this?