Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here...just picked up an 09 883 Iron

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011 | 11:11 AM
Iron916
|
Advanced

Here some crappy pics from last night. Nicer one to come. But check out those handle bars. It's a comforable ride, but kinda hard to turn. My 08 ninja 250 is so easy to toss around.

Old 03-28-2011 | 11:38 AM
Iron916
|
Advanced

Just some info...I am 6"2 205 lbs. I'm thinking stock bars maybe to low? Also would stock bars allow the bike to be more agile? I kinda like the look of the mini apes....so much to learn!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2011 | 02:04 PM
bmrgold
Cruiser

Head to the dealer and sit on a new Iron and then sit on new Nightster, easiest way to tell if the bars are to low for you, Im 6'0 205lb and the stock bars were super comfortable for me, I just switched to drag bars because they look bad *** but I can already tell the difference in my lower back and the bike handles a little different now too.

I miss the feel of my stock bars but love the look of the new ones

Old 03-28-2011 | 03:01 PM
Iron916
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmrgold
Head to the dealer and sit on a new Iron and then sit on new Nightster, easiest way to tell if the bars are to low for you, Im 6'0 205lb and the stock bars were super comfortable for me, I just switched to drag bars because they look bad *** but I can already tell the difference in my lower back and the bike handles a little different now too.

I miss the feel of my stock bars but love the look of the new ones
That's how life is...gotta sacrifice comfort for badassness...haha

I'm thinking since my cables seem to be extended already why not throw mini apes on it? I don't know, I'm just stoked about this bike...all I know is that homemade handlebars gotta go!!!

Old 03-28-2011 | 03:38 PM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iron916
That's how life is...gotta sacrifice comfort for badassness...haha

I'm thinking since my cables seem to be extended already why not throw mini apes on it? I don't know, I'm just stoked about this bike...all I know is that homemade handlebars gotta go!!!
Mini-apes would be comfortable. Especially with your longer arms. Like you said you already have the extended cables so, you would only be out the $75 for the bars. You could do the switch out yourself, and sell the bars you have on there now and make a few bucks back.

Old 03-28-2011 | 07:12 PM
warrick
Banned

Originally Posted by Iron916
Just some info...I am 6"2 205 lbs. I'm thinking stock bars maybe to low? Also would stock bars allow the bike to be more agile? I kinda like the look of the mini apes....so much to learn!!!!!!!!!!

Apes are not going to make your sporty agile. Why do you think sport bikes and cafe's have clip on's?

mini-apes should work with those cables and would look good, but it will not be as agile as stock, or drags, or clip on's.

Old 03-29-2011 | 12:33 AM
Iron916
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by warrick
Apes are not going to make your sporty agile. Why do you think sport bikes and cafe's have clip on's?

mini-apes should work with those cables and would look good, but it will not be as agile as stock, or drags, or clip on's.

I see what your are saying. The bars that I have on straight across on the top which is good for straight driving but not turning so much so I think any bars that I get will be better than these.

So based on this picture, it looks like I have aftermarket shocks...right? The bike scraped over a bump at Safeway. I would prefer the stock height. Also..what exhaust is this? Screamin eagle?

Old 03-29-2011 | 12:38 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Those are stock shocks. The "N" models come with those. You have a stock exhaust with slip-ons and a stock air cleaner so it's safe to assume your bike has not had a stage 1 download or anything like that.

Old 03-29-2011 | 01:03 AM
Iron916
|
Advanced

Thanks...what is the meaning of "N"

Also the air box says Screamin Eagle on it...wouldn't that be an upgrade?

Also would you know what slip on those are?

Old 03-29-2011 | 02:28 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Your bike is an XL883N and the Nightsters are XL1200N. It's the official designation of what you have. There are alot of different Sportsters. Yours is an "N". There is L, C, H, R...depends on what the options are.

If the slip ons don't clearly say Screamin' Eagle then they aren't. I'm not sure what you have. Slip ons are nice. I'm sure yours are top quality whatever they are.

Generally, when you have the Screamin Eagle stage 1 kit installed the snail snout plastic part of your air box is removed for better air flow. Someone may have simply bought that plate or just the air cleaner. Who knows.

Quick Reply: Newbie here...just picked up an 09 883 Iron