Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering the new superlow

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Don't overlook the simplest things.

Originally Posted by kcmfg
My wife just got the new 2011 Superlow 883 and we want to lower the bike about an inch or two so she can go flat footed. She is only 5'2" and has about 1.5-2" between her heel and the floor when she is on the bike.

I am having a hard time finding low rear shocks for this new model. Does anyone know where I can find low shocks for this bike?

Also, does anyone know if the nightster shocks will fit on the superlow? I heard they are shorter but I don't know for sure.

Anyone know what the stock rear shock length is on the superlow?

I have read a bunch of stuff and searched a lot about replacing the rear shocks, getting rear shock relocation brackets, and changing the seat to reduced reach.. but I am having a hard time finding products that say they work on the 2011 superlow.

Please Help
Boots with a Thicker soul and heel,,,,,,
Drop the rear preload,,,
The stock shocks will sag a tad as they break In,,,
Tires will wear,,,
All this could add up to an Inch or two,,,

How about those shock lowering brackets guys use to slam a bike????
30 to 40 bucks I presume,,,,will drop her an Inch or more.
Check fender clearance with shocks fully compressed !

Last edited by Osco; 03-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by volks-man
agreed.

the reach seat is narrower up front and will help keep her legs straighter when 'standing'. it will push her 1/2 more forward when riding too.
and
'herman munster' style boots with 1.5" thick soles (not just the heels).

the superlow has ZERO lean angle already. i'd try and avoid lowering it any more at all costs.
Forget the Herman Munster Boots. Have her try a pair of these. I have a couple pair of riding boots (flat ones as well) and these are my absolute favorite. The wedge heel gives you more height, but is also really comfortable to wear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...AR_3403-0078_G

Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
volks-man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catlkn
Forget the Herman Munster Boots. Have her try a pair of these. I have a couple pair of riding boots (flat ones as well) and these are my absolute favorite. The wedge heel gives you more height, but is also really comfortable to wear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...AR_3403-0078_G
cat,
help me out here..............
how do you shift in those boots? do you rock your whole lower leg back or something?

those things are crazy! i'm gonna show them my lilliputian wife. though she isn't in to heels much.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by volks-man
cat,
help me out here..............
how do you shift in those boots? do you rock your whole lower leg back or something?

those things are crazy! i'm gonna show them my lilliputian wife. though she isn't in to heels much.
Well, to tell you the truth I have never relly put much thought to it. Does'nt feel a lot different than shifting in my regular Harley "combat boots". I don't have floor boards, I can see where that may make it a bit harder. The boots have a decent "flex" so I think I just rock my heel back on the peg!

...oh and our local Cycle Gear carries them in stock, so if you have one around maybe she could try them. They are really more comfy than they look!

Last edited by catlkn; 03-25-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 AM
fit4lifelu
3rd Gear
Default Well there's 5'0, then there's 58 inches (4'10")

I am only 4'10" (58 inches) tall. I have a Superlow, I got a reach seat and had foam removed and gel pad inserted and the sides shaved, which gave me a little more give. I STILL can't reach without 2 inch boots. And even then I am JUST flat footed. I know that with practice I could manage certain situations, but my fears are getting in the way. I've dropped it soo many times. I can finally manage without dropping it, but fear if I get into certain situations I'll drop it easier because I can't reach. And did I mention that I basically stripped it and put as much chrome that is available for it. I'm trying to work through my fears I just would feel so much safer and in control with it lower and my knees bent more so I can have more stability. Any suggestions, would be so appreciated (even with the fear part)...I've wanted a Harley since I started riding passenger over 25 years ago...so this is KILLIN' me.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fit4lifelu
I am only 4'10" (58 inches) tall. I have a Superlow, I got a reach seat and had foam removed and gel pad inserted and the sides shaved, which gave me a little more give. I STILL can't reach without 2 inch boots. And even then I am JUST flat footed. I know that with practice I could manage certain situations, but my fears are getting in the way. I've dropped it soo many times. I can finally manage without dropping it, but fear if I get into certain situations I'll drop it easier because I can't reach. And did I mention that I basically stripped it and put as much chrome that is available for it. I'm trying to work through my fears I just would feel so much safer and in control with it lower and my knees bent more so I can have more stability. Any suggestions, would be so appreciated (even with the fear part)...I've wanted a Harley since I started riding passenger over 25 years ago...so this is KILLIN' me.
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF.

Think calm thoughts! I must admit to have been riding for over 40 years now and almost half a million miles, but while I am taller than you for most of that time I have not been able to flat foot on any of my bikes. Believe me this is a very recent thing, in other words the very expression to 'flat foot' is quite new. You do NOT need to be able to do it!

You have heeled boots, with which you can almost flat-foot. That is close enough! It really is. You only need to get one foot down flat. On my Electra Glide I can't even do that and with my wife on board, plus the kitchen sink, we must be close to half a ton ready to roll. The only difference between you and I is riding experience and confidence.

And that is the key to your success. Riding to gain skills and confidence. If you currently ride out with friends or family, leave them behind. Get out there on your own, where you are not under scrutiny, don't have people breathing down your neck, watching you under a microscope. You don't have to go far! Visit a friend across town, pop down the shops, ride round in circles on a simple circuit in the area you know well, but do it often.

Chin up! Take a deep breath and get out there!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 AM
fit4lifelu
3rd Gear

I bought these boots because I am only 4'10" and they give 3 inches, I also had a rubber heel put on (it had a plastic one)....I haven't tried them riding yet, the heel is so thin in the back, that it doesn't seem to stable. They are awesome for shifting though. Have you ever had issues at stops with these boots?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 AM
fit4lifelu
3rd Gear

Well with that many miles under your belt, I trust your opinion. My boyfriend feels the same way. I just need practice. He took me out on the road once and I did good. Then I tried to go out myself, I stalled and dropped it...didn't even make it out of my neighborhood. So we went and bought cones...I told him all the things I am fearing....quick stops, sharp turns...pulling into bike night with all those bikes and having to go real slow or anywhere for that matter....so we started going to the church parking lot. My biggest problem is that I am a widowed mother of three. That causes 95 percent of my fear. Some days my knees shake and my stomach turns, but my passion to ride is so great....soo frustrating. At any rate, yesterday I got on and rode around the neighborhood while he stayed in the driveway. I did fine and rode about twenty minutes. At first I cruise throught the stop signs, then stopped and went....did good at first...then stalled the next three stop signs. If I am on even a slight grade and stall, it's really tough to reach to start the bike with my hand on the brake, I keep both feet down when I stop. What happens is when I am riding passenger, situations arise and I think hmm....would I have been able to handle that...omg, I would have dropped my bike....blah blah blah....then the fear sinks in and I psyche myself out. Calm thoughts......I'll remember that. Thanks so much. Any other tips....my ears will be open.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Graham, you beat me to it. The modern compunction to "flat-foot" your bike is ridiculous. You should NEVER have both feet on the ground, anyway. As you come to a stop, you down-shift, then when you are nearly to a stop (and in 1st gear), you put down your LEFT foot. If you are really "old-school," then you will put the bike in neutral rather than first, then just prior to take-off, you shift the bike to the right, put your right foot down, and shift into first, then take off. I no longer do this because I maintain my bike well, and modern clutch cables are very reliable. Moreover, when on a hill, I keep the rear brake engaged until past the friction point on the clutch, at which time the engine will keep me from rolling backward. I find that if I do it the same way every time, I don't forget which goes where at what time, so it's LEFT foot down at a stop for me.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

fit4lifelu, have you considered taking a riders training course? We live on different continents, but I know from reading elsewhere on this forum there are various types of course available to you. Having a trained instructor giving you coaching, and training you to do clever things in a safe environment will help boost your confidence and skills.

Best of luck with your 'project' and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: lowering the new superlow