Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank lift pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lifted mine 2 1/8 inches. What I did was use wood shims under the tank on the frame and added them until I liked the way it looked, then I CHECKED TO MAKE SURE MY HANDLEBARS AND SIGNALS CLEARED. that's the important part.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
onebagger15
Tourer

I'll post a pic later, but I did a 2" lift on my '10 Iron. Did a wire tuck, coil & ignition relo as well. Really cleans up the front end.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=DK Custom;8051829]BT's actually benefit as much, or more, than Sportys from a tank lift
/quote]

My comment was toward the fact that we are in the Sportster forum. I suspect that pictures of big twin tank lifts would be out of place if not unwanted.

My tank is also lifted on my Heritage but I would not post those pictures here.

Back to the thread........

Looking at the space in front of the tank on a lifted big sporty tank, I'm thinking that it might not be a great idea unless there was something there to fill that void. On the BT's the tank is lifted to reveal more rocker box. On the sporty it appears to just reveal more air. It would almost look better IMO if a frame brace would be added in that void. Perhaps a good place for more chrome for those of us that are addicted to the stuff.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
skorch
Advanced

A question about the wire relocation. Ive seen everything from creating your own connectors, to hardwiring. I would much rather keep all the stock connectors is that going to be possible with a 1.5-2in lift? The other question is i keep hearing about the coil and ignition relocation is that just for the hell of it or is there a lot of exposed wires going to those components and I would get a cleaner look if i did so?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

[quote=fcsallan;8053400]
Originally Posted by DK Custom
BT's actually benefit as much, or more, than Sportys from a tank lift
/quote]

My comment was toward the fact that we are in the Sportster forum. I suspect that pictures of big twin tank lifts would be out of place if not unwanted.

My tank is also lifted on my Heritage but I would not post those pictures here.

Back to the thread........

Looking at the space in front of the tank on a lifted big sporty tank, I'm thinking that it might not be a great idea unless there was something there to fill that void. On the BT's the tank is lifted to reveal more rocker box. On the sporty it appears to just reveal more air. It would almost look better IMO if a frame brace would be added in that void. Perhaps a good place for more chrome for those of us that are addicted to the stuff.

My bad.

Below are a few sporty tank lifts as OP requested...lot's more here- > Clicky and Here

Old 03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
HBRHMR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skorch
A question about the wire relocation. Ive seen everything from creating your own connectors, to hardwiring. I would much rather keep all the stock connectors is that going to be possible with a 1.5-2in lift? The other question is i keep hearing about the coil and ignition relocation is that just for the hell of it or is there a lot of exposed wires going to those components and I would get a cleaner look if i did so?
2" is plenty...you're going to want some electrical tape and flex tubing if you remove all of the plastic garbage.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we are at it, does the tank lift changes the way the bike handles?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 PM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just added a 2" lift, wire tuck, coil and ignition relocation to my bike, I love it..

Attached Thumbnails tank lift pics-003.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primostoy
Just added a 2" lift, wire tuck, coil and ignition relocation to my bike, I love it..
And no it doesn't affect the handling, at least not that I can tell...

Attached Thumbnails tank lift pics-004.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
titus3:5
Tourer

primostoy--- how did you lift your tank, ?? did you just use stock and drill holes or what means did you use, by all means others reply as well... Another for primostoy---, nice fork extension, what means did you use for that and what degree is that??? Did you have any problems with trail???. either way nice bike and I love your colors.

Quick Reply: tank lift pics