Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Buyers Beware

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006 | 05:24 PM
Broken Leg Rider
|
Road Master
Default Harley Buyers Beware

Harley dealers are starting a new trend, at least in my area. They are refusing to work on a bike if it's older than 95. Needless to say, this is making me think metric again. I would really hesitate to purchase a large cruiser, intending to keep it till I can't ride it anymore -and then have the manufacturer refuse to work on it after only ten years while fully knowing the Harleys need service more than the metrics I have owned. In fact, the 07's seem to need service from day one []

Old 10-13-2006 | 05:48 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Default RE: Harley Buyers Beware

Some metric dealers do the same thing, trust me I've been there with a 81 Virago and a 91 XT 350. Find a different dealer/shop. I'm sure not all HD dealers refuse to work on older bikes.

Who says the 07s need service from day one? Sounds like sour grapes. Nothing's perfect from ANY manufacturer but to say the 07s need service from day one is a bit strong.

Old 10-13-2006 | 06:30 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd rather have an good independent shop work on my Harley's anyway.

1995 and older bikes are out of warranty, so I can't see any real advantage of needing an official "Harley Dealer" to do whatever might be necessary.

Old 10-13-2006 | 06:37 PM
Broken Leg Rider
|
Road Master

I know of several guys with new 07's that must have a Power Commander mod and new pipes that actually might void the warranty. They need it because the pipes glow red while being ridden. I even kidded one and told him he didn't need to buy frame lights. He laughed and said new pipes and the Power Commander are in progress already. The 07 Fatboy needs a fender mod right away. The 07 Transmission are singing the blues. Maybe they have so much work on the new bikes they can't afford the time to work on the older ones.

My Sportster does not have these problems. No, not my sour grapes but those of other owners. If the shoe fits.....

I kept my last Ford F150 for 275,000 miles until the block was cracked removing a water pump. The dealer NEVER refused to work on it, and it was a 91. I have an 88 Bronco that they will still work on. For those Harley owners who are not worried because their bike is much newer, just remember that re-sale value is affected by serviceability. Yes, I have heard some recent re-sale woes. Just check your Ebay prices.

My own experience has been over 35,000 miles put on each of several new and used Metrics without them needing any service at all except oil. Yamaha and Honda build quality bikes, and they have some now that sound really good with open pipes. Shaft drive, too.

I love my 91 Sportster, and I do most of the service. If I didn't like it I would not have invested the money to re-build it. Yet, I wanted Harley to do the 1200 conversion - no one else. Am I pissed off that they won't do it?

You bet. I am so pissed off my next bike will NOT be a Harley. Read my lips. All they really want to do is sell.

My Harley tee shirts will stay in the closet or become bike rags while I do the conversion myself or ask a real service shop to do it. Or, I may just sell it and buy that Yamaha. Perhaps I should just keep my mouth shut about the dealerships. Hmmmm.

Old 10-13-2006 | 07:19 PM
dc1450
Road Master

And what Honda or Yamaha can go 35,000 miles without srevice like valve adjustment? Come on if you didn't adjust the valves you were abusing the bike. And as far as shaft drive ,why would you want to **** 10% of your power running that thing ? They negativly affect the handling and add unesassary weight.
Hey get whatever you want but dealers are all the same, it doesn't matter what brand you ride. There are good ones and bad ones.

DC

Old 10-13-2006 | 07:44 PM
trmn8r
Tourer

I've been there with a 94 Virago. Last year so it was 11 years old. Head mechanic at metric dealer didn't say he wouldn't work on it...just that he could assure me they would make it "not worth it" for me to leave it with them to work on... made it pretty clear they were going to charge me so much it would not be worth getting them to do it.

Old 10-14-2006 | 12:24 AM
rharrison
Road Master

The new Sportster's are great. No more warm-up issues or starting issues, just start and go. As for working on the bike, I can't add much to what has already been said except maybe buy the manual and do as much as possible yourself. Enjoy the ride and keep posting on the forum.

Old 10-14-2006 | 12:34 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

Well first off I wouldn't take any bike to the dealer for other than warranty work anyway.Independant shops survive by being cheaper and or better than the dealerships.On the other hand I can tell you I've blown up my fair share of "metrics" and they usually cost more to repair than they're worth.

Old 10-14-2006 | 01:57 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior

No offense if you are a mechanic at a dealer but I have always felt that dealer service is mediocre at best. And it really doesn't need to be anything more than that. They generally are there just to do routine service that riders can't do themselves. If you are serious about having someone else other than yourself wrench your Harley or any bike for that matter you should seek a good indy mechanic. I don't blame dealers for not working on bikes that old or older. They most likely have their hands full with working on the newer bikes. Just my opinion.

Old 10-14-2006 | 08:08 AM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member

I have not run into this yet with my 1995. What a black eye for Harley Davidson (since 1903) Tim

Quick Reply: Harley Buyers Beware