Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush Slip-on Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Skunky82
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rush Slip-on Discoloration

After riding into work this morning I noticed some slight discoloration on my Rush slip-ons where the muffler meets the header pipe. Almost looks like the metal is overheating. Was curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Over the winter I installed a SE intake, ViEDs (set to 14.0:1 which is the middle setting iirc). Was thinking that I might still be running a bit lean, when I first installed the slip-ons last summer I did notice a lot of decel popping but since installing the ViED it seems to have dissipated.
Just trying to figure out if I'm being overly paranoid since she's been sitting for most of the winter or am it running too hot.
Will take a couple of pics once I get home, currently at work and unable to do so.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go to the max setting, considering that 14.0 is still a bit lean.

Keep in mind, you are FREQUENTLY riding off the stock map and not in closed loop mode. Your ECM only adjusts while in closed loop mode.

Example: While accelerating, your sensors are not getting the ecm to adjust.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Dim100
Cruiser

Had the same issue - check the thread here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...colouring.html

I only installed the slip ons as there is no strict need to do stage 1 with only slip ons. After posting the pics Rush sent me new ones. They said they had re-worked their powder coating which may have been the reason for the discolouring.

Either way I will be tuning the engine when I install them as I live in Dubai and the moisture could be an issue.

Good luck

Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Skunky82
Cruiser

Thanks for that link Dim, after looking at those pics you posted the discoloration I'm seeing looks almost exactly like that just not as far along.
By the time I get home it'll be dark out so I'll have to wait till Monday to take some decent pics but I'm going to be sure to send them in so Rush can have a look at it.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When ya Mount Powder coated slip ons and get em all set,,
Yer suppose to wipe em down with alcohol,,get all the hand prints, skin oil
and grease off BEFORE you heat em up for the first time.

I've also herd that Rush will swap em out of the coatings are not up to spec

Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Skunky82
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Osco
When ya Mount Powder coated slip ons and get em all set,,
Yer suppose to wipe em down with alcohol,,get all the hand prints, skin oil
and grease off BEFORE you heat em up for the first time.

I've also herd that Rush will swap em out of the coatings are not up to spec

Yup, I make sure to clean the slip-ons thoroughly, well the whole bike for that matter, anytime I do any sort of work on it. I could understand if that's what the problem was but it's not. The area affected is just where the slip-on meets the header pipe and nowhere else.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After posting the pics Rush sent me new ones. They said they had re-worked their powder coating which may have been the reason for the discolouring.

These are poweder coated? Am I supposed to read between the lines here?
OP didn't "say" they were powdercoated.

Most nobody will warranty chrome ones for discoloring, since poor tune ain't the pipe factories fault.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Dim100
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

Most nobody will warranty chrome ones for discoloring, since poor tune ain't the pipe factories fault.
Just relaying my experience and what Rush told me. Mine are black and they told me that I have the ones with the older formula which had been improved since I bought them.

They also said that if you were just using slip-ons then there is no need to tune so they still warrantied them for me - and shipped them to Dubai FOC. Nice.

Last edited by Dim100; 03-14-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunky82
After riding into work this morning I noticed some slight discoloration on my Rush slip-ons where the muffler meets the header pipe. Almost looks like the metal is overheating. Was curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Over the winter I installed a SE intake, ViEDs (set to 14.0:1 which is the middle setting iirc). Was thinking that I might still be running a bit lean, when I first installed the slip-ons last summer I did notice a lot of decel popping but since installing the ViED it seems to have dissipated.
Just trying to figure out if I'm being overly paranoid since she's been sitting for most of the winter or am it running too hot.
Will take a couple of pics once I get home, currently at work and unable to do so.
Send some pics to sales@rushracingproducts.com. Make sure to note what size baffle you have and any upgrades such as high flow air cleaner or engine mods. We use a high-temp powder coat so even if the bike is running a bit lean/hot they should not discolor. You stated your issue looks just like the other pics, so chances are we will need to get them replaced for you. Thanks for working with us to resolve this.
Ryan

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

If the bike is setup within our recommendations we will warranty discolored chrome pipes. We will need to verify the tune/setup and that they have not been damaged, but we will replace them if everything checks out.
Also, nice to see a local on the foum. Our facility is in Merrillville.

Quick Reply: Rush Slip-on Discoloration