Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley LED headlight ----sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
mtruland
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Booey420
They might be mis-named, and they might not have a ballast, but they are brighter then the stock bulbs and for $10 instead of $400 I'll take them anyday
I had a slim ballast HID on order from DDMTuning.com but decided against, as they're not DOT approved. I was talking to a few PD officers, who told me I should think twice before going that route. While they're not the kind who would hassle someone over them, there ARE cops out there who will ticket you for it. Just think, after that ticket, you're at the cost of the DOT approved lamp housing!

The reason they're not approved, is that the lamp housing isn't designed for the bulb. It's not focused correctly for HID lighting...

Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

OP, I presume you readjusted your headlight after installing the LED?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtruland
I had a slim ballast HID on order from DDMTuning.com but decided against, as they're not DOT approved. I was talking to a few PD officers, who told me I should think twice before going that route. While they're not the kind who would hassle someone over them, there ARE cops out there who will ticket you for it. Just think, after that ticket, you're at the cost of the DOT approved lamp housing!

The reason they're not approved, is that the lamp housing isn't designed for the bulb. It's not focused correctly for HID lighting...
The bulbs I bought are the same as the stock bulbs just a lot brighter. They plug right in the light plug. No mod or any extra parts needed

If I ever did get a ticket, I would just put the stock bulb back in it.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:09 PM
mtruland
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Booey420
The bulbs I bought are the same as the stock bulbs just a lot brighter. They plug right in the light plug. No mod or any extra parts needed

If I ever did get a ticket, I would just put the stock bulb back in it.
That's the method I would take. I hear great things about the sylvania bulbs. In fact, it's all I use in the house as well -- they're great. I had a gift certificate to burn though, so I figured the LED bulb would be ok. We'll see once it arrives tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM
nutter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
well, i just installed the new LED on my 08 Ultra and it is the brightest thing i have ever seen. it blew me away with the difference. it will actually light up down the block my entire street. i would go back to the dealership and talk to them about6 it. i will never have a bike without one.
Glad to hear someone likes it. Sounds like you got the results shown on the hd website. I should get mine in this week and am planning on getin the bike outa storage next weekend. Ill post some night pics once its in

Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
mjolnir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this, I was thinking of going this route on my Nightster.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
mtruland
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nutter
Glad to hear someone likes it. Sounds like you got the results shown on the hd website. I should get mine in this week and am planning on getin the bike outa storage next weekend. Ill post some night pics once its in
I'll try to do the same this week as well. Just need to install it, and *hope* there's no snow...

Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to keep in mind when watching that video on the HD website....that is a big twin they do the demonstration with...and thus a 7" headlight. The 7" headlight produces 1900 lumens while the sportster's 5 3/4 only produced 1200 lumens...almost 30% less. So while the LED should be head and tails better than the stock bulb...might not be quite as dramatic as the video shows. Just sayin.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the stock bulb is brighter than the high beams on the 94 tbird i used to have.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
mtruland
Cruiser

My lamp came in. I'm 100% satisfied. It's awesome how different it looks, even in the daytime. Nice, clean, pure white. I hooked it up to my benchtop power supply in the dark, and really liked what I saw. Though I haven't used it at night yet, I can say it's gonna be awesome. I think the OP might have gotten a dud.

Quick Reply: Harley LED headlight ----sucks!!