Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY '09 IRON 883 Sucking Gas a lot!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
IRON883Man
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MY '09 IRON 883 Sucking Gas a lot!

HI everyone, I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 09 IRON 883 couple of weeks ago..(use to ride Yamaha R6 before). I noticed the bike really sucks on gas. I filled up the tank -3.3 Gallons (up till the top), The fuel Light came on at 39 mile mark, and I got 10 extra miles with that 0.8 gallon reserve.( I noticed this, as I barely pulled in to the gas station )I do ride in washington DC with all the traffic ,but ther's got to be some problem with it. I even checked if something is leaking( everything looks good).

It has 4600 miles on it. And also "Screeming eagle exhaust". I'm new to working on the bike myself, but I have a friend who can help. Please share your knowledge about the problem. Gas mileage is worst than driving my SUV.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks !!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Were you sputtering and coughing on the way in the gas station, or was it only the gas lamp that lit up?

It's a common issue that the gas lamp comes on prematurely.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said you filled up, and put 3.3 gallons in your bike. Then at 39 miles the fuel light came on. Then, 10 miles later you "barely pulled into the gas station".

OK, 1st....when you put 3.3 gallons of gas into your bike. Are you certain of that amount??? Because I have never seen anyone actually manage to put 3.3 gallons in their tank.
2nd....the fuel light is junk, don't rely on it too much.
3rd...explain what "barely made into the gas station" 10 miles later. Sputtering and not running?? Or did you just assume that you needed to be worried?

OK, now the $64,000 question......
How much gas did you put in it at that gas station???

If you tell us it took another 3.3 gallons............well, many people here will be skeptical.

Are you sure you put in 3.3 GALLONS, and not 3.3 LITERS?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kahaone
You said you filled up, and put 3.3 gallons in your bike. Then at 39 miles the fuel light came on. Then, 10 miles later you "barely pulled into the gas station".

OK, 1st....when you put 3.3 gallons of gas into your bike. Are you certain of that amount??? Because I have never seen anyone actually manage to put 3.3 gallons in their tank.
2nd....the fuel light is junk, don't rely on it too much.
3rd...explain what "barely made into the gas station" 10 miles later. Sputtering and not running?? Or did you just assume that you needed to be worried?

OK, now the $64,000 question......
How much gas did you put in it at that gas station???

If you tell us it took another 3.3 gallons............well, many people here will be skeptical.

Are you sure you put in 3.3 GALLONS, and not 3.3 LITERS?
+1. The 3.3 gallon tank on an '09 will never hold 3.3 gallons cuz the fuel pump takes up some of that space.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM
IRON883Man
3rd Gear
Angry

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Were you sputtering and coughing on the way in the gas station, or was it only the gas lamp that lit up?

It's a common issue that the gas lamp comes on prematurely.

Yes !!It was coughing ans Sputtering on the way!! this dint happen once . I already put lot of gas in it, you knw What i mean.. I can feel somehting is not right ..!!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 PM
IRON883Man
3rd Gear

I'm sure I filled up the tank until the gas spilled over a bit!!( I meant to the very top of the tank).
It was Sputtering and not running. I din't worry abt the gas light when it came on.. I kept riding assuming, I would get atleast 20 miles or so(since I ride in the city, dont have to worry about the distance to gas stations).

Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Big question is how much gas are you putting in between fill ups?
How is the bike running? Any backfires?
Any strong smells of raw gas?
Did you check for any error codes?

When did you buy it? if it's still under warranty take it to the dealer and have them run diagnostics on it.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to keep track of exactly how much gas you put in and track the miles on your trip odometer.

Also, if you were going through 3 gallons of gas in 50 miles you would notice either a lot of gas smell, or your bike would run like crap cuz it would be running seriously rich.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM
IRON883Man
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Big question is how much gas are you putting in between fill ups?
How is the bike running? Any backfires?
Any strong smells of raw gas?
Did you check for any error codes?

When did you buy it? if it's still under warranty take it to the dealer and have them run diagnostics on it.
I just got this bike, since then I filled up twice till the top of the tank. Both the time the gas almost ran,Sputtering and coughing.

The bike runs great..I dint smell anything.

As of the Back fires ,this is my first harley, can't say if it's back firing, but I hear the noise a lot, I assumed it's coz of the screaming eagle.

Also the OIL LIGHT is ON when it start the bike, but goes off when riding. Not sure why this is ON ( I checked with the previous Owner, She said she changed the OIL before storing the bike for Winter, and never rode it after)

Thanks !

Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
IRON883Man
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
You need to keep track of exactly how much gas you put in and track the miles on your trip odometer.

Also, if you were going through 3 gallons of gas in 50 miles you would notice either a lot of gas smell, or your bike would run like crap cuz it would be running seriously rich.

I kept track of the gas by using the trip Odometer. I'm positive it's not human error.

I will be stoping by at the dealer today to see if they can look at it. I will post an update here later

Thanks much

Quick Reply: MY '09 IRON 883 Sucking Gas a lot!