Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY '09 IRON 883 Sucking Gas a lot!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the oil light coming on. It should be on when the engine is not running because there is no oil pressure with the engine stopped.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 PM
IRON883Man
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked with the dealer. I still have warranty on it till next month. I'm gonna let them do the service.

Thanks!!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON883Man
I just got this bike, since then I filled up twice till the top of the tank. Both the time the gas almost ran,Sputtering and coughing.

The bike runs great
..I dint smell anything.
These two statements seem contradictory.

What do you mean by "Both the time the gas almost ran,"? Ran where? Ran what? And again, exactly how much gas did you put in? Not how full you filled it, but the exact amount of fuel you put in.

In order to figure out mileage, you need to fill the bike, clear the trip odometer, ride it for a while, then fill it up again, noting the exact amount of fuel it takes to top it off and the exact mileage on the trip odometer. With those two numbers you can use simple division to get your accurate mileage. Then clear the trip odometer again (do this at every fill up).

Again, if you go through 3 gallons of gas in 50 miles, you will notice either a leak or crapping running.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

I just checked with the dealer. I still have warranty on it till next month. I'm gonna let them do the service.

Thanks!!
Sounds awesome man, let us know what they find out!
Also take this time to check EVERYTHING on the bike. Slowly go through and look for anything (with exception to wear and tear) that you can have the dealer check out and repair under warranty. One common thing is to look around your rocker box covers for any signs of leaking oil.

Don't expect them to do that for you as they will usually only fix what you bring it in for and ignore anything else.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Sounds awesome man, let us know what they find out!
Also take this time to check EVERYTHING on the bike. Slowly go through and look for anything (with exception to wear and tear) that you can have the dealer check out and repair under warranty. One common thing is to look around your rocker box covers for any signs of leaking oil.

Don't expect them to do that for you as they will usually only fix what you bring it in for and ignore anything else.
That and if I remember right someone said there was a replacement fuel pump float which can be replaced under warranty (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Old 03-11-2011, 04:11 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by ironhide_uk
That and if I remember right someone said there was a replacement fuel pump float which can be replaced under warranty (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
I do think that you are correct and hopefully that will be one of the things they check out when they are working on his fuel problem. But, never hurts to REMIND the wrench!!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:51 PM
jrenton85
Advanced

I am also curious as too how much gas your actually putting in the tank. For example when i stop and put gas in my 09 iron, i usually am able to put about 2 to 2.3 gallons in it max. Then i go ahead and ride another hundred miles or so, pull back into the gas station and fill up again (around 2 gallons) Like others have said, no way your getting the full 3.3 gallons in there. Also you said you filled it up to the top, but how much was that?? I would have a shop look at it for sure, let us know what you find out.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
IRON883Man
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jrenton85
I am also curious as too how much gas your actually putting in the tank. For example when i stop and put gas in my 09 iron, i usually am able to put about 2 to 2.3 gallons in it max. Then i go ahead and ride another hundred miles or so, pull back into the gas station and fill up again (around 2 gallons) Like others have said, no way your getting the full 3.3 gallons in there. Also you said you filled it up to the top, but how much was that?? I would have a shop look at it for sure, let us know what you find out.
I 'm goiing to fill up again now.. let me see..

Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

I 'm goiing to fill up again now.. let me see..
If ya can fill it up, document the amount you put in, run it for the 40-50 miles and fill again and document your amount once more.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

All kidding aside, do you have a leak somewhere?

Quick Reply: MY '09 IRON 883 Sucking Gas a lot!