Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Help with Sportster to Nightster fender

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
egetrop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Help with Sportster to Nightster fender

Guys, hopefully you can help...I did a search but didn't find too much info...I also have the service manual but still can't figure out the wiring...so I'm replacing my stock 883 Low rear fender with a fender from a Nightster. I already had the running/tail/brake turn signal module. My question is since the turn signals plugged into the stock rear tail light in the original fender, where would they plug in now that that rear tail light will be removed? Each turn signal has a purple and black wire. Also, I have the side license plate which has led lights. This has 2 black wires. Where do these plug in? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

Guess it is different

Last edited by woodworking1; 03-09-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: I was wrong!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 AM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

there are actually 2 relays for this. i bought one at the harley shop, for that kit you keep your existing brake light plus turn signals turn into brake lights as well. but i cut my fender so it wasn't going to work. i needed a break/turn signal since i took the stock brake light off. if you tear your tail light apart you'll find a small circuit board that you can plug your turn signals back into where they were to begin with. if you actually got the nightster relay (which i ended up doing, i shorted out the circuit board...long story haha) then you should have 2 turn signal plug ins a main wire harness plug in and the license plate light plug in. this is what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
egetrop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sorensentyler
there are actually 2 relays for this. i bought one at the harley shop, for that kit you keep your existing brake light plus turn signals turn into brake lights as well. but i cut my fender so it wasn't going to work. i needed a break/turn signal since i took the stock brake light off. if you tear your tail light apart you'll find a small circuit board that you can plug your turn signals back into where they were to begin with. if you actually got the nightster relay (which i ended up doing, i shorted out the circuit board...long story haha) then you should have 2 turn signal plug ins a main wire harness plug in and the license plate light plug in. this is what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Thanks a lot! Yeah this looks like it will make it easier if I just got the relay...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

i ordered mine through zanotti harley davidson. for some reason if you order through them over the internet they give you like 10% or 15% off. (if you do the same the part # is 68278-07) and i wanted a brand new relay just for peace of mind. i am pretty sure the nightster turn sig/brake light relay will work on 04-up sportsters. glad i could be of help, ride safe bud!