Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Jrock1062
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet

Hello All

I am new to riding and just bought my first bike a 2011 Nightster my question I have is what helmet do you use and which would you recommend for me a new rider J thanks in advance for all the help

Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best bet would be to hit up a local motorcycle shop and try on a bunch of lids. The metric shops usually have a pretty good selection. You'll be able to find something that fits your head, is aesthetically pleasing to you, and fits your budget.

I'm almost certain this thread will turn ugly before long though. There is a lot of "debate" amongst the members of this forum regarding which type of helmet they prefer and would recommend. Only you can decide if you want a 1/2, 3/4, full face, modular, etc.

My own personal helmets are a HJC IS-16 full face and a HJC SyMax II modular. I like them both very much because they meet *my* needs.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
eviltwin415
Tourer

This guy's crazy don't listen to him, he has no idea what he is talking about. My helmet is the best. It's the only helmet anyone should wear.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
BINGO53
Intermediate

+1 on above.
Shop, shop, shop ! While in the shop, put a helmet on and wear it while you continue to look at others. Definitely do not buy "blind" from internet. You will find sizes are not consistent manufacturer to manufacturer. Do a little online reading as to how a helmet should fit. As to type, thats up to you.

Do a little googling and read up as to how a helmet should fit.

After using above method, I found an HJC 3/4 that fits me well enough that I often forget I have it on.

Congrats on the new ride. Some of us find that along with a first bike comes a secondary hobby......buying stuff for it.

Respectfully,
BINGO53

Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM
LetItRide
Cruiser

Find a helmet that fits your head shape.
Is your head a long oval or round?
In my experience with a long oval shaped head - HJCs, Nolans, Shoeis will leave a nasty
burning red mark on my forehead - whereas Arai's fit like a glove.

Ordering a helmet online should only be done once you have found a model that fits comfortably - and only then just to save $$$ or if the local dealer is out of stock in the color choice you want etc.

Some helmets like Arai's have different sized cheekpads - which make a BIG difference.
Unfortunately - most displays at dealerships only contain helmets with the most common sized cheekpad.

I was lucky - I met an Arai factory rep at the Internat'l Motorcycle Show last year and he was able to fit me properly in a helmet.

Comfort should take priority over price - since if its not comfortable - you probably wont
wear it...

Jim

Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Motion carried, shop around. I will ask this telling you I have 2 full face helmets and more than often don't wear one but...what is your head worth?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts

it all depends on what kind of a rider you are in my opinion. i'm more into the old school feel of riding. i have a 3/4 helmet made by motorbrigade helmet manufacturers. fits really well, but i've been having a hard time finding them online. i bought mine off ebay. i also have a carbonfiber helmet but i think they recalled all their helmets. reassuring huh? they both fit low to the head but are DOT approved. really it's what you like, zox has a nice helmet i own one of theirs too, but it's a bit bigger and pretty much makes you look like you have a mushroom on your head as do most DOT helmets. look at biltwell too they are pretty cool. a good website is lowbrowcustoms.com they have some cool stuff.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
cpracing519
Road Master

All depends on your style and safety. Full face is of course going to be the safest! I have a HJC full face for when its cold out. I like the open face 3/4 metal flake helmets. I have 3 Bell Custom 500's all metal flake and DOT approved.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
forrest42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i second the biltwell's , i use my 3/4 only when its cold but its a solid helmet. And as mentioned biltwells come in the sweet metal flake colors.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Scorpion Exo-400, best bang for buck full facer. Motorcycle superstore had them on sale for 65 a few weeks ago, and that's full refund if it doesn't fit as long as you didn't take like the stickers off or anything.

Quick Reply: Helmet