Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Spokes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Spokes?

I'm thinking more and more that I want black spokes on my Nightster wheels and I was wondering if anyone on here has done it (pics please!).

The only option I am seeing (other than buying all new wheels) is to find someone to PC the spokes, and then re-lace the wheels. I see you can buy chrome spokes online all day long, has anyone ever seen black?

Also, where do I go to have the wheels re-laced and trued? Is this something any bike shop should be able to do?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I interpretting this correct that you want to keep the black rim but have black spokes as well? If so I'd say just take the entire wheel/spokes/hub and have the entire assembly powdercoated black and don't worry about having it torn down and relaced and trued. I know of several people that have done this and I spoke to a guy locally that vintage races and was told doing it like this also helps from any spokes coming lose making the wheel untrue. In the end it will be way cheaper and easier than removing the wheel, breaking it down, powdercoating each individual spoke, then paying someone to relace/true it up.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
beachcrab
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://beachpeople.zenfolio.com/p456197413

18 inch rear and 21 inch front on my nightster with mid glide triple trees. all black. regular sportie rear fender with tail light cut out filled in and painted black. this front fender will be painted and fitted when the weather gets better! http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7100191.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
Am I interpretting this correct that you want to keep the black rim but have black spokes as well? If so I'd say just take the entire wheel/spokes/hub and have the entire assembly powdercoated black and don't worry about having it torn down and relaced and trued. I know of several people that have done this and I spoke to a guy locally that vintage races and was told doing it like this also helps from any spokes coming lose making the wheel untrue. In the end it will be way cheaper and easier than removing the wheel, breaking it down, powdercoating each individual spoke, then paying someone to relace/true it up.
what? i don't think so. so you're saying just take the wheel off and spray and pray? what about the ends of the spokes where they lace into the hub? just spray the hub too? that's ludacris dude. if i remember correctly cat, you had an indie shop do your motor correct/ have you asked them about breaking the wheels down and pc'ing the spokes? that's what i would do or buy spokes that are already black. these guys should be able to get you the spokes or do the wheels for you.
http://www.hdwheels.com/Product.htm

Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive seen it done with no issues

Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
I'd think buying black spokes would be cheaper and quicker...can't you find black spokes somewhere?
right here.....
http://www.hdwheels.com/Product.htm

Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM
ryback
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
Ive seen it done with no issues
Yea, until the first time a spoke does need to be adjusted.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about black spokes as well for my cafe build (nearing production). I went over to Blackbike who's specialty is spoke wheels. They are great guys and do excellent work if you need a shop to build you wheels.

Anyhow, I saw a nightster there with black spokes and to be honest, nothing popped. It was too black for my taste. It obviously looked different than what I pictured it in my head to look like. So I sat there with them and went over all the colors we can possibly do (similar to black) that would have a nice contrast. I am now going with Candy Black spokes which will have a metallic gunmetal finish to them. Just a thought...

If you want straight black spokes, HDwheels (as mentioned above) or Blackbike Wheels will help you. Talk to Andre at HDWheels or Brian at Blackbike. Both are great. I ended up going with Blackbike because they gave me a better deal. If you want the same wheels done, you can send them the wheels and they will do them.

You can also find an Indy shop by you that will be able to do them.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by papadop88
I thought about black spokes as well for my cafe build (nearing production). I went over to Blackbike who's specialty is spoke wheels. They are great guys and do excellent work if you need a shop to build you wheels.

Anyhow, I saw a nightster there with black spokes and to be honest, nothing popped. It was too black for my taste. It obviously looked different than what I pictured it in my head to look like. So I sat there with them and went over all the colors we can possibly do (similar to black) that would have a nice contrast. I am now going with Candy Black spokes which will have a metallic gunmetal finish to them. Just a thought...

If you want straight black spokes, HDwheels (as mentioned above) or Blackbike Wheels will help you. Talk to Andre at HDWheels or Brian at Blackbike. Both are great. I ended up going with Blackbike because they gave me a better deal. If you want the same wheels done, you can send them the wheels and they will do them.

You can also find an Indy shop by you that will be able to do them.
+1.....a guy on the boards by the name of tweakin (cool dude-awesome bike builder) who used to have a nightster and had reddish maroon spokes and it looked dope! if i were to do it, i'd have to bite his style in a heartbeat!

can't wait to see the cafe Pop!

Quick Reply: Black Spokes?