Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Windshield?

With the colder weather here and only getting worse I think a windshield is a good investment so I can ride later into the year. Seems like a windshield and some chaps might keep me riding down into the 30's. Seeing as I hurt my back over the weekend (minor I hope) and my temp plate expired and I still dont have my real plate I cant ride right now.[:@] So Im taking the time to research parts like seats, windshields, etc.

I really like the mounting hardware on the new, H-D quick release mounts that clamp around the fork tubes, but at $350 it seems a bit steep. So how are the Memphis Shades windshields? I found this one on EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUICK...QQcmdZViewItem , what do you think of this one? Being new to H-D's Im not sure of who makes good stuff and who doesnt yet.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Windshield?

I have a compact HD windshield that has the docking hardware that stays on the bike when removed. It dosen't show that much and quite honestly once you start riding with a windshield you don't want to take it off. These HD shields are on Ebay all the time for reasonable $$

Old 10-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

The eBay shield mounts don't appear to be what I would consider "Quich Detachable". In fact, they look like rust waiting to appear (galvanized, maybe?). The ad provides very LITTLE information about the brackets, so I could be wrong; however, if they're so good, why is so little said about them? That being said, I think the price for the Harley Quick Detachable shields is absolutely ridiculously high. But again, if you order from this dealer http://www.surdyke.com/hd/catalog.asp You usualy get about 20-25% off. I have ordered from them before and their service is fabulous! I also am thinking about a shield, like the Harley Quick Detachable, and will most likely order from Surdyke.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:08 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

i put the little sport shield- smoke colored with wings etched in-and it does a nice job of deflecting bugs and braeking the windflow

Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 235 Likes on 143 Posts

http://www.surdyke.com/hd/catalog.asp

Got this link at the top of the forum page. $290 including shipping for the OEM detachable.

Chris

Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 235 Likes on 143 Posts
Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 AM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check with your dealer and ask for a deal on a "take off" from a trade-in bike.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Lamo70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two words: Electric vest

Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

For some reason I cant get to the Surdyke site? For $273 shipped I'd seriously consider the HD quick detach windshield. Maybe Ill ask about take offs since I need to call them about my license plate anyway.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lightngsvt

With the colder weather here and only getting worse I think a windshield is a good investment so I can ride later into the year. Seems like a windshield and some chaps might keep me riding down into the 30's. Seeing as I hurt my back over the weekend (minor I hope) and my temp plate expired and I still dont have my real plate I cant ride right now.[:@] So Im taking the time to research parts like seats, windshields, etc.

I really like the mounting hardware on the new, H-D quick release mounts that clamp around the fork tubes, but at $350 it seems a bit steep. So how are the Memphis Shades windshields? I found this one on EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUICK...QQcmdZViewItem , what do you think of this one? Being new to H-D's Im not sure of who makes good stuff and who doesnt yet.
I just got a Memphis Shades sport shield -- the Del Rey model for my Roadster. I got it off one of the forum members here.
I bought this one

It is the smallest of the Memphis Shades. Just got it on tonight and did an 80mph run with it. Outside temp is 60 degrees.

It definitely kept the wind off my chest. I did notice that. So I could see it cutting down on fatigue on a long ride and helping to keep my "core" warmer when it gets colder.

Still not sure if I am a windshield guy. I am 50-50 on it. But I am going to leave it on for awhile and see if the functionality and the looks of it grows on me.

As to mounting,. It is an easy mount. Just four brackets to your forks -- Four allen bolts to tighten. Shield slides on and off brackets, four allen bolts to tighten. Taking the shield off takes less than 30 seconds. I could probably get the whole thing off (brackets and all) in about a minute. No big deal.

I'll report back in later if my opinion on it changes at all.

Also, the Memphis Shade is definitely a quality shield. I can tell that from looking at it and holding it in my hands. No complaints on quality.