Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron ass trips

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
I have a question to anyone who may have done this before. Me and some guys in my club are planning on doing a trip from Columbia SC to Ft. Worth TX. The trip out will be an iron *** trip, 1000 miles in 24 hours. I have a 1200C with C&C seat and 16" apes. How bad is this going to suck? I rode from here to panama city fl last spring which was 1/3 the distance without any problem so I was wondering what 3x the distance was like for those who have done it.
Hey DeepSea... I did the Iron Butt in 18 hours back in November... I was quite exhausted and in pain... but my bike is very uncomfortable... my recommendation is that you start late afternoon so you get back and ride the last hundred miles during daylight... you don't want to be tired and pushing the last couple hundred miles in the dead of the night...

Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second that, I do it when I ride to Memphis, TN from Charleston, SC. It's a lot harder to fall aslepp in sunlight. I think it only like 800 miles. So good luck.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM
deepsea
Tourer

Originally Posted by joebotics
Hey DeepSea... I did the Iron Butt in 18 hours back in November... I was quite exhausted and in pain... but my bike is very uncomfortable... my recommendation is that you start late afternoon so you get back and ride the last hundred miles during daylight... you don't want to be tired and pushing the last couple hundred miles in the dead of the night...
I think we are planning on pulling out around dark for that reason.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did 1,000 miles in about 22 hours, back before there was an Iron Butt. Did it on a CB900F Honda. Minimizing stops is where you'll make it a longer or shorter trip. I've also ridden from San Diego to Indianapolis in a couple days. Never found it to be tough, but I enjoy the journey and the sights. If your mindset is, "man this sucks" then it probably will. Besides, if you're a Navy Diver it'll be a piece of cake from the physical side.

Last edited by Hx3; 02-22-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
sportsterpaul
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My '06 "R" has seen me through 5 Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000's. my best one day-1400 miles 22 hours,(go ahead do the math, suffice it to say we ran hard at times). Last summer we ran from Lansing, Michigan to New Orleans in 17 hours, hit the French Quarter, then the next morning it was decided to return via Tail of the Dragon, which turned into 2500 mile in three days. For some excellent tips visit the Ironbutt Assoc. website. My '06 is set up well for me but its only because I have made every mistake there was! Not to bad for a Great grandpa with a broken back and an artificial knee?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM
thegrimmycrew
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hx3
I did 1,000 miles in about 22 hours, back before there was an Iron Butt. Did it on a CB900F Honda. Minimizing stops is where you'll make it a longer or shorter trip. I've also ridden from San Diego to Indianapolis in a couple days. Never found it to be tough, but I enjoy the journey and the sights. If you're mindset is, "man this sucks" then it probably will. Besides, if you're a Navy Diver it'll be a piece of cake from the physical side.
Right on brother! fellow squid here (DC). Deff right bout the journey.. if ya gets all twisted about it then you are not going to enjoy in. Ive made a couple o trips to Great Lakes from Daytona on my Sporty with a layover in Nor****. Once ya get settled in on the bike its on like donkey kong. I try to limit my coffee intake cause ya dont wanna hafta take a leak every 45 min or so. I get bout 125 miles outa my tank at 80mph.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Razerman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I Made the IBA 1000 in 15 1/2 hours, these are the tips I received and will share with you,
Take honey/oat granola bars(sticks with you)
Spray lens cleaner and a rag (you'll clean your glasses often)
Jug of water-(take small hydration juice powder packets to make mix) "walmart"
Rain gear (for rain and warmth)
Fresh oil change, and check tire pressures.
Wind burn sucks- take a scarf for your face.
when you fill up with fuel from the very start, and at each stop, write down your mileage and the time on the fuel slip. and probably one of the most important things,,NO MORE THAN 3 in your group. Lean forward,lean back, ride sidesaddle, stretch and above all, be thankful to those who enabled us the freedom to ride like there is no tomorrow..enjoy the sights..they will be gone in a blink of an eye...Damn I want to go again now!

RR.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

leave at daylite and shut it down at midnight...should easily qualify for an iron butt run. gopher it...you are only young once.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:44 AM
deepsea
Tourer

Originally Posted by Razerman
I Made the IBA 1000 in 15 1/2 hours, these are the tips I received and will share with you,
Take honey/oat granola bars(sticks with you)
Spray lens cleaner and a rag (you'll clean your glasses often)
Jug of water-(take small hydration juice powder packets to make mix) "walmart"
Rain gear (for rain and warmth)
Fresh oil change, and check tire pressures.
Wind burn sucks- take a scarf for your face.
when you fill up with fuel from the very start, and at each stop, write down your mileage and the time on the fuel slip. and probably one of the most important things,,NO MORE THAN 3 in your group. Lean forward,lean back, ride sidesaddle, stretch and above all, be thankful to those who enabled us the freedom to ride like there is no tomorrow..enjoy the sights..they will be gone in a blink of an eye...Damn I want to go again now!

RR.
thanks for the tips. I usually wear a bandana over my face on the interstate for all the damn sand blowing up. I appreciate the other tips though.