Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a cool accessory?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

big tittied blonds always make a nice addition.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
I couldn't agree more.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Two musts in my book!

Two musts in my book and you already mentioned the first one.

Seat: Harley Davidson Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat Part No. 51739-07 and you can find it cheaper on e-Bay from an actual Harley dealer than at the local dealer. This one is much softer than the stock one and will be much more comfortable for someone riding on the back as well. AS Curt1953 says and shows he has on his bike picture. That is now what I have on mine and just like he says I have ridden mine for 10 hours straight (except to get gas and a drink) and my rear was still fine, unlike the stock seat.

Windshield: So many to choose from. From the sport model to the full quick disconnect model both of which Harley sells or you can find some really good one out there on the Internet that are less expensive. If you live in an area that gets rather cold you might want to consider ones that also cover your hand grips and knees like the National Cycle Plexifairing 3. Make sure you get the right height too. You should have someone measure up from the top of your headlight at the same angle as your forks to a height that is just about even with your nose tip. That will be the height you want so that the wind just cuts over the top of your head/helmet (that means the bugs too). You will find on long runs you won't be as tired holding yourself up against the wind with a shield.

Ok, maybe a third and forth thing. If you are going to store it outside a good HEAVY DUTY bike cover not a light weight one and upgrade your anti-theft system that comes stock on the bike with the optional alarm (that is if you didn't get the LoJack system). And yeah, a small tool kit too, even brand new some thing just seem to vibrate loose like a mirror nut or something.

That is a good start, then do what others have said and check out other bikes to see what you like. You can go with a theme like Willie-G and get all kinds of chrome with the Willie-G stuff on it or the Live to Ride stuff with lots of chrome with gold eagles on them. If you are going to ride double I might also suggest a small sissy bar and if you are going to do a lot of country riding at night maybe the new LED headlight Harley has. There is so much you can do and so much that you can spend. You could eventually end up paying again what you spent for your bike in upgrades and accessories. Leather lockable and removal saddlebags from someplace like U.S. Saddlebag Co. is another idea but again expensive. I would not go with the throw over kind, you usually have to put them under your seat and then can't take them with you when you leave your bike and most are not lockable and have a very small weight limit. As an example the Harley leather throw over saddlebags have a weight limit of 7 lbs., heck a gallon of milk weight a pound more than that!

Oh, and I would go with the DIGITAL form of the service manual instead of the book version. That way you can just print out the pages you need at that time and not have to worry about how greasy you get them while working on your bike. You can find them on e-Bay too. Since your bike is brand new, you should not need that right away. Boy, I could go on and on but...

Take your time and shop wisely!!!

Last edited by DOMAPOI; 02-20-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would start with a new seat or maybe some RK shocks...

Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
I couldn't agree more.

If I could afford that, most definitely!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Two musts in my book and you already mentioned the first one.

Seat: Harley Davidson Sundowner Deep Bucket Seat Part No. 51739-07 and you can find it cheaper on e-Bay from an actual Harley dealer than at the local dealer. This one is much softer than the stock one and will be much more comfortable for someone riding on the back as well. I believe that is what Curt1953 shows he has on his bike picture.

Windshield: So many to choose from. From the sport model to the full quick disconnect model both of which Harley sells or you can find some really good one out there on the Internet that are less expensive. If you live in an area that gets rather cold you might want to consider ones that also cover your hand grips and knees like the National Cycle Plexifairing 3. Make sure you get the right height too. You should have someone measure up from the top of your headlight at the same angle as your forks to a height that is just about even with your nose tip. That will be the height you want so that the wind just cuts over the top of your head/helmet (that means the bugs too). You will find on long runs you won't be as tired holding yourself up against the wind with a shield.

Ok, maybe a third and forth thing. If you are going to store it outside a good HEAVY DUTY bike cover not a light weight one and upgrade your anti-theft system that comes stock on the bike with the optional alarm (that is if you didn't get the LoJack system). And yeah, a small tool kit too, even brand new some thing just seem to vibrate loose like a mirror nut or something.

That is a good start, then do what others have said and check out other bikes to see what you like. You can go with a theme like Willie-G and get all kinds of chrome with the Willie-G stuff on it or the Live to Ride stuff with lots of chrome with gold eagles on them. If you are going to ride double I might also suggest a small sissy bar and if you are going to do a lot of country riding at night maybe the new LED headlight Harley has. There is so much you can do and so much that you can spend. You could eventually end up paying again what you spent for your bike in upgrades and accessories. Leather lockable and removal saddlebags from someplace like U.S. Saddlebag Co. is another idea but again expensive. I would not go with the throw over kind, you usually have to put them under your seat and then can't take them with you when you leave your bike and most are not lockable and have a very small weight limit. As an example the Harley leather throw over saddlebags have a weight limit of 7 lbs., heck a gallon of milk weight a pound more than that!

Oh, and I would go with the DIGITAL form of the service manual instead of the book version. That way you can just print out the pages you need at that time and not have to worry about how greasy you get them while working on your bike. You can find them on e-Bay too. Since your bike is brand new, you should not need that right away. Boy, I could go on and on but...

Take your time and shop wisely!!!
Oh man.. be sure to look at that sundowner before you buy it because it looks terrible on sportsters. Also stay aways from the HD catalog as much as you can because HD is way overpriced.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by thegrants82
Oh man.. be sure to look at that sundowner before you buy it because it looks terrible on sportsters. Also stay aways from the HD catalog as much as you can because HD is way overpriced.
Your hear that Curt1953? He says our seats look terrible on our bikes. I don't think it looks terrible on my Sporster and I have gotten lots of good comments from my fellow riders about how nice it looks. And believe me, it is VERY comfortable! And yes, HD catalog is over priced which is why I said to go on e-Bay.

Last edited by DOMAPOI; 02-20-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,795 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Start w/service manual & some tools so you can get familiar w/bike & not run to home store w/every project. For your seat dilemma - can get stock one modified for 1/3 price of new @ Mean City Cycles (MCC). Double mem foam mod works well...check out their work...http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Thanks for the seat info. I'll be hitting those folks up to redo my FX seat.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dan conner
But they will also move you closer to your controls.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Your hear that Curt1953? He says our seats look terrible on our bikes. I don't think it looks terrible on my Sporster and I have gotten lots of good comments from my fellow riders about how nice it looks. And believe me, it is VERY comfortable! And yes, HD catalog is over priced which is why I said to go on e-Bay.

I have a Sundowner on my Sporty and love it. I'll take comfort over looks any day. The people looking at it aren't the ones riding it.

Quick Reply: What is a cool accessory?