Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kman Harley's restoration/build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011 | 07:15 AM
Kman Harley
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bulldogextreme
Bike is looking awesome man. You have to do any Mods to get the 150 on? Will you be changing your shocks to air or strut or keeping the springs?
Yeah had to get a pulley spacer to allow the belt to clear the tire. Spread the swing arm a bit to it all to fit back in and also a washer to allow the pulley bolts to clear the swing arm. I was very close to needing to grind down the fender bolts/nuts o2 even turning them around to have the flatter side on the inside of the fender to allow the tire to clear, but lucky for me it just made it. If you need more info just ask but I got all my info to do it from xlforums. Some people from what I read have to do one of those solutions tho. As for the rest shocks they're staying, they're burly slammers.

Originally Posted by Vins
Not diggin the wrapped crossover tube, Would look for sone aftermarket pipes or have some made and get rid of it.
The plan is to get a Sikpipes exhaust later when I can afford it so for now I wrapped it to get the look I want. I'm not a 4am of the cross pipe either and was considering cutting it and welding it up before wrapping it but read that it serves some perpose so I left it.

To all the other comments, thanks guys.

Old 02-28-2011 | 11:06 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Looks good man, not ditch thoes old huge turn signals LOL!

Old 02-28-2011 | 12:23 PM
Kman Harley
|
Advanced

That too is the plan, I want either the stock nightster ones but can't find them or I think I'd go with the Joker Machine bullets but again that's more funds so will be a later addition. If anyone knows the part numbers or where I can get the stock Nightster style indicators online please let me know - no Harley dealer here for me to go order it from.

Old 02-28-2011 | 03:03 PM
2011Iron883
Cruiser

Wow, what an improvement! That is really turning out to be bad ***. What type of wrap is that?

The cross tube does serve a purpose but how important it is to equalize pressure between cylinders is, I don't know. A lot of aftermarket pipes don't do that so it must not be all that critical. My Iron has the same thing except it is integrated into the stock muffler brackets and it tucked away pretty much out of site.

Old 02-28-2011 | 03:32 PM
Kman Harley
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2011Iron883
Wow, what an improvement! That is really turning out to be bad ***. What type of wrap is that?

The cross tube does serve a purpose but how important it is to equalize pressure between cylinders is, I don't know. A lot of aftermarket pipes don't do that so it must not be all that critical. My Iron has the same thing except it is integrated into the stock muffler brackets and it tucked away pretty much out of site.
Thanks! I got the wrap kit from BlueCollarBobbers.com - I know I could've gotten it elsewhere cheaper but their's seemed to have the most wrap for the price plus an instructional dvd which I figured I could use since I've never wrapped an exhaust before personally but seen it done on a car exhaust and turbo manifold, though I could've figured it out I'm sure. The more wrap with the kit I figure would be nice in case I screwed something up and tore/wasted some. Needless to say I have like 3 half rolls left over - it'll come in handy when I have the patience to do my car turbo manifold and down pipe I also did as they suggested in the DVD to wrap over the heat shield instead of removing them - makes it look beefier than just the plain pipe.

Old 02-28-2011 | 04:23 PM
2011Iron883
Cruiser

Ahhh, that is why they looks so thick...nice thinking.

Old 03-04-2011 | 08:30 PM
Kman Harley
|
Advanced
Default Idling Video

Installed the carb jet kit while I wait for the seat to get here and I decided to start it up, and I really like it! But the video doesn't give the sound justice. let me know what y'all think.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/lilmac7_photos/?action=view&current=VID_20110304_180847.mp4

Last edited by Kman Harley; 03-05-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2011 | 09:05 PM
bull346
Advanced

i am thinking about painting my motor hows the paint holding up on that what did you use to prep it

Old 03-05-2011 | 05:24 AM
Kman Harley
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by bull346
i am thinking about painting my motor hows the paint holding up on that what did you use to prep it
I haven't had it on the road yet to get exposed to the elements fully but my friend had the same paint on his car wheels for over a year now and it looks the same. It's Plastikote brand engine enamel. For prep I sanded down good, wiped clean with denatured alcohol to get of any dirty or oil from handling it with my hands then I did a few coats with their engine primer then with the black.

I'm sure other brands of engine enamels are good too, they're usually more chemical resistant to gas and oil. When I turned the petcock on gas leaked out over it, I wiped it up and it's as if it never happened.

Old 03-24-2011 | 07:03 AM
Kman Harley
|
Advanced

All done! Rode it a few times and I'm loving it! Will be going to the DMV to get it road worthy today.

Quick Reply: Kman Harley's restoration/build