Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
MeatH3AD
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light problem

I'm new to the forum and would like some help with my brake light issue. I recently changed the handlebar to my iron 883 and also changed my rear light bulbs to red. It just occurred to me today that the brake lights would not activate when I am using my front or rear brakes. The turn signals and taillights still work but I can't seem to find the problem of my brake light issue.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you make sure the new bulb works? Just because it's new doesn't mean it works. Change your bulb back out to the original one and check to see if your B/L works. Or is it the right one?(single/double filliment). Does it stay on? if so, check your front brake lever. Some times it'll get caught behind your switch when replacing your handlebar accessories. Oh,and welcome to the forum....

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Brake switch

The HAND brake lever pushes in/depresses a little rubber covered pressure switch.When you pull the lever it activates the brake.This little switch is a temperamental little mother,so you have to be very carful when removing and replacing the unit.

If you open( loosen the screws)the brake throttle control housing.You'll see the lever separates from the unit you'll see the little rubber covered switch.turn the ignition on and test it pushed in lights off released lights on.You can try a little piece of double sided sponge tape ,just stick the sticky side to the cover the switch.Reassemble the unit with the ignition turned on ...so if you do it right the brake light will go off.

Note WHEN the headlight is on ... if you fiddle to long you might have to recharge your battery.Hope this helps.H.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM
onebagger15
Tourer

I am having this same problem. It started yesterday when I finished my change to apes. Is the switch in the throttle control housing also linked to the rear brake pedal?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by onebagger15
I am having this same problem. It started yesterday when I finished my change to apes. Is the switch in the throttle control housing also linked to the rear brake pedal?
The throttle control switch goes to the rear brake light switch.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Steeler
The HAND brake lever pushes in/depresses a little rubber covered pressure switch.When you pull the lever it activates the brake.This little switch is a temperamental little mother,so you have to be very carful when removing and replacing the unit.

If you open( loosen the screws)the brake throttle control housing.You'll see the lever separates from the unit you'll see the little rubber covered switch.turn the ignition on and test it pushed in lights off released lights on.You can try a little piece of double sided sponge tape ,just stick the sticky side to the cover the switch.Reassemble the unit with the ignition turned on ...so if you do it right the brake light will go off.

Note WHEN the headlight is on ... if you fiddle to long you might have to recharge your battery.Hope this helps.H.
The switch is indeed a pain in the a** ! I had a similar problem where my front switch went bad and the brake lights would never go out, they would stay on as if the breaks were being applied all the time ... so I would check both switches first, especially since you were working on the bars in that general area of the switch to see if the lever is actually contacting the switch to activate/ deactivate the lights !

Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
onebagger15
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
The throttle control switch goes to the rear brake light switch.
Thank you. Apparently this switch is a bitch, but I'd rather have it be a problem in throttle housing than a complete electrical mess.

Thanks again and I hope this is the fix. I will post after tomorrow when I can get at it.