Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want my sportster to sound louder.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by gant
cheating those videos are inside a garage just get short shots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNN27...TVLmNg&index=2

The point of my post was more about that true 10.5 to 1 compression with good port work and cams sounds louder, meaner, tougher and has ear piercing sound at high rpm too. Reguardless of the pipe, unless its factory or a quiet pipe like the suppertrapp. im assuming its obvious you have never rolled up to another sporty with big power, cause right away it sounds way different, it has some bark and growl to it at idle and off idle. short shots are one of the worst performing pipes out there. Sorry i prefer pipes that are loud and perform, not into pipe of the month look. How often do you see a nightster, iron or 48 with sideshots...all the time. haha.

Cheating.......?????? Well i guess it was cheating in my shop then.

Your factory 1200 stage 1 doenst sound like that at the end of the track at 113 mph in 4th gear no what pipe is on it or out on the highway hot rodding with your buddies....just sayin

by the way....its a street bike with a tach on it that I race once in a while. its not a race bike. And the r&b pipe sucks for performance.

here is a quieter sampson pipe not in my shop

and a thunderheader....is this cheating since the video was shot a ways away in the stands?

Last edited by Madnss; 02-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenomorph
If your running stock and you wanna stay in budget, get some slip ons. On the other hand, if money is of no concern, just get a whole new set of pipes. Whatever you do though, don't just take the baffles out of you stock pipes. Will it run louder, yes. But that's only til the motor takes a $hit on ya.
Why would the motor suffer any ill effects from running straight pipes? I've never heard that claim before. Being that most of my friends & myself have run straight pipes for many miles on every HD imaginable, for several decades, I have to question if that's a fact based claim or hearsay?

I fully realize that the correct amount of back pressure will offer max performance. But I highly doubt the free flow of straight pipes causes any harm.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Of course, my opinion means nothing on this forum, since I have an ancient 1992 that is well below the 48's, nightsters and irons of todays world. So hopefully i didnt offend anyone with my 20 year old thoughts on sportsters.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Why would the motor suffer any ill effects from running straight pipes? I've never heard that claim before. Being that most of my friends & myself have run straight pipes for many miles on every HD imaginable, for several decades, I have to question if that's a fact based claim or hearsay?

I fully realize that the correct amount of back pressure will offer max performance. But I highly doubt the free flow of straight pipes causes any harm.

hahahaha....this forum needs a major "engine 101 class" Im with ya panhead!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,467 Likes on 5,048 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-09-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
The point of my post was more about that true 10.5 to 1 compression with good port work and cams sounds louder, meaner, tougher and has ear piercing sound at high rpm too. Reguardless of the pipe, unless its factory or a quiet pipe like the suppertrapp. im assuming its obvious you have never rolled up to another sporty with big power, cause right away it sounds way different, it has some bark and growl to it at idle and off idle. short shots are one of the worst performing pipes out there. Sorry i prefer pipes that are loud and perform, not into pipe of the month look. How often do you see a nightster, iron or 48 with sideshots...all the time. haha.

Cheating.......?????? Well i guess it was cheating in my shop then.
http://youtu.be/D6eJkM7oOjc

Your factory 1200 stage 1 doenst sound like that at the end of the track at 113 mph in 4th gear no what pipe is on it or out on the highway hot rodding with your buddies....just sayin

by the way....its a street bike with a tach on it that I race once in a while. its not a race bike. And the r&b pipe sucks for performance.
http://youtu.be/u_yDifBXNBE

here is a quieter sampson pipe not in my shop
http://youtu.be/CWDsOeO3SNQ

and a thunderheader....is this cheating since the video was shot a ways away in the stands?
http://youtu.be/_w1q6h-O0Rw

it was a joke calm down no one needs to see all your bad *** racing videos now

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
downsouth204
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines straight shot HS slip ons

Just switched out my stock mufflers for a set of Vance and Hines straight shot HS slip ons with the quiet baffles and I couldn't be happier! Loud but not too loud and a nice deep tone.
About 3 hours to put them on and I ended up taking the header pipes right off and replacing the pipe to head gaskets as well as the crossover gaskets.
A job worth doing is a job well done

Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
LSUTGRS06
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running 2" Drag Pipe Slip on with Khrome Werks Baffles on my 2009 1200C. Loud and the baffles help with the loss in Backpressure that some experience with Drag Pipes. Its loud, but not too loud..I dont say anything about my neighbors dog barking, so he does not say anything about my bike starting up early in the morning.

Attached Thumbnails Want my sportster to sound louder.-bike-windshield.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
blackknight883
Tourer

Im going with V&H Big radius 2 into 2's when I upgrade here this spring hopefully...

Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
TheMadRaven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2011Iron883
Hahah, I used to have to stop the bike in the drivsway and knock on the door to get my Wife to open the garage. Now I see the garage door opening as I turn into the street.
Oh you too? I thought that only happened to me!

Quick Reply: Want my sportster to sound louder.