Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster a girls bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:46 AM
buckeye431
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster a girls bike?

Back in the day....8 to 10 years ago and more. The Sportster was considered the Hot Rod of the Harley World. Everyone, even non bikers recognized a Sportster gas tank.
On or off the bike.

It wasn't until the upper middle class dudes going through their mid life crisis who started buying BT's and never worked on them, but always wore the "gear". Who just bought the biggest most expensive bike they could so they would be known as a biker. It wasn't until this happened that anyone looked down on a Sportster or a Sportster rider. Before that they were looked up to. These guys thought $$$ how much a bike cost made them a better biker, not knowledge or attitude.

They buddied up to the stealer dealer and had him do all their work for them. How well they knew their dealer also is a mark of being a good biker, to them.

Now look at all the bike builder shows. Most are building bob tail bikes with BT engines. All the new bikers talk at work how they liked the build they watched on TV etc. But look at them.....they are just trying to build a Sportster with a BT engine.

Look at Biker Build off.... they make them ride 800 or more miles after the build, on a stripped down Hot Rod.....just like riding a Sportster. Makes good TV. Makes a good life style too.

I use to ride Triumphs and build custom Triumphs. I now ride Sportsters. Hold your heads up high boys. They can't catch you...and they don't understand you!!

Old 10-08-2006, 10:55 AM
roadhawg
Cruiser
Default RE: Sportster a girls bike?

I'm never concerned. The group I ride with are all bt glides, kings, etc. I'm the only sporty. One fella told me the other day that his wife has a sporty and he won't ride it because he feels he has too much control over it and he wants to just whip in and out and around traffic says it makes him a bit nervous. Not to mention the field meet I went to was dominated by sportys they weren't all winners but the majority.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Your point is well made. It should also be noted that the 74" (1200cc) engine was Harley's largest until 1979, I believe. The Sportster today is still a rider's bike. Not a tourer, but certainl CAN be toured with. I was also an old Triumph person myself and Harley came out with the Sportster to grab back the market share that the British bikes took away with their lightness and speed. The Sportster was considered the first "super bike" in 1957 and into the early '60's, and ate the British twins for lunch.

Is it a beginner's bike? No way - it is a rider's bike! BT's are more comfortable for the long haul, but the Sportster is made to haul!

Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 AM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

It's a girls bike if your a girl.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:45 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Here we go again...

Old 10-08-2006, 12:16 PM
lschultz
Road Master

Hell any of HD's bikes could be considered girls bikes. Them females can ride anything now. My son bought him a 05 1200C and that was the first Sportster I ever rode and them son a ******* will go they are still the muscle bikes of HD. He is moving up to a 07 Roadglide and I wish I had the money to buy it from him to keep it around. They will get you anywhere you want to go. He rode it to Sturgis last yr when we went 3450 miles there and back.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta grin here.

Just last month a Honda guy told me my sportster was a girl's bike. So, I invited him to take it for a spin. He swaggered over an lifted it off it's kickstand...then turned red as a beet.

"This thing is really heavy!"' So, he chickened out.

To make it even funnier, his friend traded his Honda for a Heritage Classic. His swager was amplified ten fold immediately. Then he droped it the first week and so it has been collecting dust in his garage for almost a month now.

At a local bike rally this really cute, smallish lady came rumbling in on a lowered fatboy. She could ride it well enough. Thing is, she had to back it into place. Of course there were a dozen guys there to catch it when she lost control, and then park it for her. So it's true. The ladies can ride any scooter, as long as they bring a parking boy

Old 10-08-2006, 01:50 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I made the mistake once of parking downhill in a parking lot with another car facing toward me. After a beverage, I had to push it up the hill to get it out of the parking spot. Holly hell....I felt all 575 lbs that day. My buddy thought it was funny. I am 5'10', 185 lbs. There is no way my wife or most girls could push this bike up a hill like that.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 PM
jpar05nm
Cruiser

Nope, the Sportster is not a girls bike. It's bike for anyone. I also ride Triumphs and they are great bikes too. They have heritage and a storied history also.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:46 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and again ...

I think we need a "It's Not a Girls Bike" Sticky.

Quick Reply: Sportster a girls bike?