Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need more power

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 AM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surazal54
gee if you don't weigh 250 plus you have the power and weight ratio of a Ferrari in your hands ... gee gotta get to the next stop sign quicker ... like a 1/10 of a second ... that is what gets you in trouble and anything over 65 is as they say illegal ... gee more power ... how about more reliablilty first ... better milage 2nd ... oh well a kids and his toys are soon parted usually by pavement ... relax this is not a competition ... if you are drag racing go to the track where it is at least safe to rip off a few ... no one is fast enough to avoid that next accident ... trust me 40 years or driving and all I do is cruise with lots of follow space and I can't tell you how many accidents I was able to avoid by having the extra time and space to steer around some thing ... what ever ...
Not to be a buzzkill but in 12 years of being a cop, I've been to 5 fatal motorcycle accidents. 4 of them were crotch rockets driving way over the speed limit in town. Hit the side of a car that pulls out in front of you at 80 and it's going to be a closed casket service. The only fatal accident with a harley was when a kid driver turned left in front of the bike. Killed the man and his girlfriend. Anyway your 1200 should have plenty of power. Mine does anyway. I can beat my big twin buddies off the line and hold my own on the interstate with them.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by surazal54
gee if you don't weigh 250 plus you have the power and weight ratio of a Ferrari in your hands ... gee gotta get to the next stop sign quicker ... like a 1/10 of a second ... that is what gets you in trouble and anything over 65 is as they say illegal ... gee more power ... how about more reliablilty first ... better milage 2nd ... oh well a kids and his toys are soon parted usually by pavement ... relax this is not a competition ... if you are drag racing go to the track where it is at least safe to rip off a few ... no one is fast enough to avoid that next accident ... trust me 40 years or driving and all I do is cruise with lots of follow space and I can't tell you how many accidents I was able to avoid by having the extra time and space to steer around some thing ... what ever ...
Some people just don't get it. As long as there have been engines, there have been guys who want more power. Just the way it is. If that weren't the case we'd all be driving around in little cars with tiny engines. We wouldn't have Porsches or Ferraris. We wouldn't have Mustangs and Camaros. And we sure would never have thought of taking a Big Block V-8 and sticking it in a tiny British sports car. Thank God for people who do get it. As Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor would say "More Power. Ar ar ar."

Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM
cian
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it does have good power, maybe it is just me and my fat @$$, thanks to all

Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
Not to be a buzzkill but in 12 years of being a cop, I've been to 5 fatal motorcycle accidents. 4 of them were crotch rockets driving way over the speed limit in town. Hit the side of a car that pulls out in front of you at 80 and it's going to be a closed casket service. The only fatal accident with a harley was when a kid driver turned left in front of the bike. Killed the man and his girlfriend. Anyway your 1200 should have plenty of power. Mine does anyway. I can beat my big twin buddies off the line and hold my own on the interstate with them.
It was only a matter of time before someone bashed the sportbikes. It isn't just sportbike guys that are stupid. Just last fall we had a guy on his Electra Glide ride off the road and kill his wife, who was riding passenger. His blood alcohol level was 1.5. But other than alcohol, the biggest threat to bikes isn't speed, it's stupid car drivers.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
RacingJake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cian
I am looking to add more power to my 98 1200c, I already have kn air filter and exahaust, I was riding with some guys on Sunday and I could keep up but it felt like the bike was straining to keep up..I was the only sportster in the group. So any info would help out a lot.

Thanks
Cian
Maybe it just needs a good tune up ?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 PM
cian
Novice

could be or maybe a better exhaust, maybe a 2-1?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way you shouldn't be keeping up with them is if they are going steadily well over 100mph, and you're not comfortable doing that or if your getting excess vibration. I mean, you can hit almost 50mph in first gear before your rev limiter kicks in. I'd have to agree with RacingJake, might want to check into a tune up.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 02-16-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
cian
Novice

i'll look into making sure all is tuned up

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

Ask Scotty in the engine room, hes sure to come through ... always does hahaha