Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerking at low speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011 | 11:03 PM
Art Vandelay
Novice

I had the same problem with my 48 when I first got it, being new to Harleys I wasn't sure what to expect. Yeah you can work it out by slipping the clutch but once I put a Power Commander V on it it really smoothed out, I highly recommend some sort of a tuner since they come running lean from the factory. Hope this helps, take it easy.

Old 02-13-2011 | 11:16 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

If you're moving slow enough that it is jerky in first gear, pull the clutch in and let it coast. Same principle as lugging the engine down the road - you need to downshift. In first gear there is nowhere to downshift to, so simply pull in the clutch.

I have a very different opinion than those who say to use the clutchs' friction zone but that's another story.

Old 02-14-2011 | 05:28 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

Sportsters like running at higher RPM's.

Old 02-14-2011 | 06:14 AM
Captain Chaos
Road Master

The "jerking" is probably one of two problems (or a bit of both).

1) If you going really slow in 1st it's going to jerk a bit. The Sportster is geared pretty tall so slow speed maneuvering requires some clutch slipping.

2) if you talking just moderately slow speeds (faster than a jogging pace) you have the wonderful EPA to thank for the jerky ride. Sportys (as well as most all bikes) are tuned very lean to meet emissions and so "lean surging" is the unfortuate result of that. It's most noticeable in 1st because of the torque multiplication from the trans is greatest in 1st gear. A tuner of some sort will solve this issue.

Old 02-14-2011 | 07:33 AM
Drdriller
|
Cruiser

I am talking about having the bike in 1st gear, at an idle. I put the bije in 1st gera, let go og the clutch, and ride at an idle. I start to get some forward and back jerking, that become unbearable. For sure I can ride the clutch, but I don't know if this is normal.

If this is normal, and installing a tuner will help, will the tuner affect any other performance? I sucks to put a tuner on a brand new bike.

Old 02-14-2011 | 07:48 AM
inswva
Road Master

You need to use some clutch when starting from idle. You aren't going to hurt anything. Use the friction zone to get going and then feel free to hammer the throttle. You'll get the hang of it with a few more miles. I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with the bike.

Last edited by inswva; 02-14-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2011 | 07:54 AM
Beer30
Intermediate

My '06 Sporty did the same thing--like others have said, I think they just don't like going that slow. When I took the MSF course, my clutch hand was completely worn out! I don't think I was able to fully let the clutch out hardly at all.

Old 02-14-2011 | 07:54 AM
Drdriller
|
Cruiser

Sorry, NOT starting from idle. This is what I am talking about. I get the bike rolling from a stop. Then, in 1st gear, while rolling, I release the clutch, keeping the bike in 1st gear. Now, I am rolling at a brisk walk. This is when the bike starts jerking and jumping, almost to the point of stalling out. I cannot roll in 1st at idle without working the clutch.

Old 02-14-2011 | 08:12 AM
Beer30
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drdriller
Sorry, NOT starting from idle. This is what I am talking about. I get the bike rolling from a stop. Then, in 1st gear, while rolling, I release the clutch, keeping the bike in 1st gear. Now, I am rolling at a brisk walk. This is when the bike starts jerking and jumping, almost to the point of stalling out. I cannot roll in 1st at idle without working the clutch.
Exactly. I've never ridden a Harley that doesn't do exactly what you just described. My wife's V-star, on the other hand, will roll in 1st with no throttle all day without issue.

Old 02-14-2011 | 08:18 AM
Drdriller
|
Cruiser

Thanks Beer30. That's what I wanted to know. For the MSF course, I have to ride the clutch all day. So, you don't think I need the drive belt tightened?

Quick Reply: Jerking at low speeds.