Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron round trip from Knoxville, TN to Charleston, SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like an awsome time ! I am going on a road trip on my iron up through P.A. March 12th, hoping for good weather ! Bike looks awsome btw

Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fe883
Oh wow, did not know I was going to gin up this much interest in my additions.

The saddle bags are the ones that you can find at Wal-Mart for about $50. But, I actually found them at Northern Supply for $20 on the clearance table! They fit pretty good after I got some zip ties and Velcro after them. I absolutely will not pay $150 for a set of leather bags, as these fit my purpose just fine. They even held my one gallon gas can. The license plate was moved before I put these on, so I don't know if the original setup would work, but I think it would, as these sit just above the lights.

The bars are from Road Six Customs. They are 12 inchers. I only wanted them shoulder height, and they make riding so much better. I have a bit of scoliosis (curvature of the spine) so my back does not like being hunched over. The license plate is also from Road Six Customs, which if you have not checked them out, you should. I don't know of any place else that sells the type of addons they have for such a low price. That license plate was only like $25.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the bags and will try them out to see. If anyone is interested in the fit, let me know and I'll relay my findings.

I did check out the license plate mount from Road6, but noticed that it lacks light to illuminate the plate. Isn't this illegal to ride at night?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 PM
3skulls
Tourer

Which heated gloves do you have and what was the avg. temp?
Would like something new next year.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Pay attention here people !!

Fe883 Is a BIKER,,
The real thing,,
All the rest Is smoke and Mirrors,,

You Da Man FE

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Fe883
6th Gear

Man, I ain't no biker. Just a dude who really like 'em. Hell, The Wife is more of a biker than me, she has TWO bikes, LOL! Appreciate the compliment though

The gloves are First Gear (linky) I am not going to lie, the heated stuff is very expensive. I only ever thought that I would own the gloves, but the trip was so cold on the way down there, and I could see that it was going to be colder on the way back, that I knew I needed to get the jacket.

The one issue that really bugs me though, is that they charge so much for the controller. Now, here is the thing, you don't NEED the controller as your gloves and jacket will work fine without it. But, they stay on high the entire time. This is not bad when it was in the upper 20's to lower 30's like it was for me. When it starts getting into the 40's, you have to turn the heat down, or you will get hot in a hurry.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 PM
3skulls
Tourer

I'll have to go heated next year for sure. A fellow HDF member gave me a heated jacket to keep on the road as long as possible.
Everything is good into the lower 30s besides my finger tips. Feels like they been hit with hammers after about 30mins @ 32* or lower.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Heated gear is expensive but when it's cold, it sure makes the ride more bearable. I have the socks, gloves, and a jacket. The jacket is great while the gloves could work a little better. They need the wiring to run on both sides instead of just on top of the fingers. The socks are hard to walk in although they keep your feet warm. I think anything that keeps you riding is something I want in my trunk. In Montana, it can snow anytime of year, go from 100 degrees to 25 degrees in 20 miles so it is best to be prepared for everything.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't justify heated gear for the Florida winters,,not that cold.

But If Its a gotta ride situtation and cold, my rain suit pants does a pretty good
job. I got the Upper body and hands coverd with a good jacket, a few layers
and a pair of fleece lined gloves.
Been out In 40 degree temps,,no cold hands so far.

Rode long ago In a North dakota winter,,rode In West Germany.
Thinsulate lined heavy mountain boots from LL Bean always
kept my feets warm.
And USAF Issued "Bunny Pants" Kept the Family Jewels toasty.
Lots of guys got Snowmobile suits,,tried em once,,did the trick.

Last edited by Osco; 02-12-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

save yourself some buckage and cram foot/hand warmers in your boots. if your boots leak air it wont do you a bit of good though.

i just picked up a pair of muck boots from tractor supply. i haven't been out riding in them yet, but i've sloshed around in new englands garbage-weather and have been really happy with them. for the money, the performance can't be beat.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which mustang seat is that? My iron's stock seat is just awful and it needs to go this year!

Quick Reply: Iron round trip from Knoxville, TN to Charleston, SC