Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody done any frame mods? I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody done any frame mods? I have questions

so, I think I do want to stick with my stock frame, seems to be the most cost effective solution. Here is exactly what I want to do

The whole reason for this is I'm 6'4'', I need more room, and eventually a bigger motor. I'd like to do an arched backbone, but I don't feel comfortable in messing with the neck of the bike, I'm a good welder, but I don't want to modify the neck if I can help it. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before on here, if they could give me some tips on where I should cut it.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The only tubes you'd be able to leave straight is the bottom. Going up 4 and out 4 will essentially take the neck diagonally up & out from where it is.

Your front lower and front upper motor mounts will need to be extended.

Why not just cut the neck off & extend it there?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my frame done sort of like what you want. I didn't do it myself, but had a shop do it for me. They cut it right in front of the jugs and added a 4" extention in there. Then they cut in under the seat and put in an angled piece there. Since I didn't want to extend it much, there wasn't much under the seat except a small angled piece, just so the backbone met the downtubes. It came out good, and yes, as mreed said, the motor mounts needed to be extended. The bottom of my frame was not touched though.
I am pretty happy with the way mine turned out, but kind of wish I had gone up 6" instead of 4", and maybe did a 2" backbone stretch to it.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

Originally Posted by mreed
The only tubes you'd be able to leave straight is the bottom. Going up 4 and out 4 will essentially take the neck diagonally up & out from where it is.

Your front lower and front upper motor mounts will need to be extended.

Why not just cut the neck off & extend it there?
I don't trust my welding enough to mess with the neck. I need more leg room, that's why I want to extend the bottom part of the frame. I've been looking all over the internet on how to do it, and all I can find is how to build frames from scratch with an expensive jig. I think if I cut it right I can get the lower mounts to stay put, and get a longer belt. If not, it's not a big deal to move them.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

Originally Posted by kahaone
I had my frame done sort of like what you want. I didn't do it myself, but had a shop do it for me. They cut it right in front of the jugs and added a 4" extention in there. Then they cut in under the seat and put in an angled piece there. Since I didn't want to extend it much, there wasn't much under the seat except a small angled piece, just so the backbone met the downtubes. It came out good, and yes, as mreed said, the motor mounts needed to be extended. The bottom of my frame was not touched though.
I am pretty happy with the way mine turned out, but kind of wish I had gone up 6" instead of 4", and maybe did a 2" backbone stretch to it.
What kind of cost was that? thanks for the help by the way

Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 AM
dzilly7
2nd Gear

Guitar man in 6'3" let me know what you end up doing cause im interested into doing the same thing.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

question: why not make it easy on yourself and just stretch the swingarm 4"? that would give you the length you want. Sometimes I just don't see the vision of a cool build (wich is what could be happening now) but I think that frame would look funky the way you are planing on cutting it up...way too much gap between motor and down tubes IMO. Good luck with whatever ya do

Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarman023
What kind of cost was that? thanks for the help by the way
With parts and labor it was about $1700. That included the longer forks and all the needed cables. It wasn't the cheapest shop around, but I know he does very good work, so it was worth it.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by old skool1983
question: why not make it easy on yourself and just stretch the swingarm 4"? that would give you the length you want. Sometimes I just don't see the vision of a cool build (wich is what could be happening now) but I think that frame would look funky the way you are planing on cutting it up...way too much gap between motor and down tubes IMO. Good luck with whatever ya do

Lol...when I see something that begins with "question:" it reminds me of Dwight from The Office.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

Originally Posted by dzilly7
Guitar man in 6'3" let me know what you end up doing cause im interested into doing the same thing.
will do

Quick Reply: Anybody done any frame mods? I have questions