Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever just rode until...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM
harley6six
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever just rode until...

I figured a nice Sunday morning ride on Super Bowl Sunday would have low traffic. My initial plan was to just ride until the fuel gave out. I did a quick check on the google maps to see approximate direction and distance. But you know how that all goes out the window once you’re on the scooter and not paying too much attention to anything except what’s going on in front of you. I reached my normal refueling mark and checked for my low fuel light, no light. I was not concerned since I had traveled almost all highway and figured to go a bit further than normal. So I proceeded on for about another 15 miles. I was way out in the boon docks and had no clue to where I was except I was on “a road” and heading in a northerly direction. I did not see any fueling stations on the corners that I am so accustomed to when riding around in my stomping grounds. Needless to say my pucker factor was slowly building as each mile ticked by. I just couldn’t take it any longer since I was riding solo and pulled over and whipped out the android phone and punched in “HELP”… err I mean “Gas”. Found a station not far off and headed to it. Man, these phones now-a-days are just too dang useful. After I filled up I found I could probably have gone about another 25 – 30 miles before I would have been riding on fumes. Oh well, short changed myself a bit on that one. So much for trying to ride until empty. J Yeah, I wimped out, but I figured I would rather make it home in time to catch the game than stuck waiting.

All in all, it was a nice ride just shy of 200 miles, sorry don’t have any pics it was just me, the scooter and the road.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
BenBoosted
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there w/ the pucker factor, but for me it usually happens when the light comes on and I'm nowhere near a gas station!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Better to cut your ride short by 20 miles of riding than extend it by 5 miles of pushing a bike...

Time I got most scared, riding in northern Idaho, pass a sign that says "Next Gas: 50 miles"... I think i got enough to make it... Not 45 seconds after passing the sign my light goes on. I decided to be macho and push-ahead instead of turning back. Worked out fine in the end, but I am pretty sure thats only because the last 20 miles was all downhill.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Wjtater
Cruiser

I have ran out and it was my own fault. When I first started riding I was gonna see how far to reserve etc. and my dumbass had the reserve on. Needless to say, I had to call my buddy and get my ***** busted for a while.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

Did it years back but not by choice had to be somewherE and back then there were fuel restrictions and the gas stations closed at 18.00,And the time being 18,30.. I calculated i should make it back to a gas station and could scrounge a litre off someone with a afterhours permit.Well i ran out about a mile short man it sucks pushing a bike.H

Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no idiot lit or fuel gauge on a 99 xlh, guage on the fx never has worked, seem ok on the fl but I find it best to reset a trip odometer each time I fill up. 125 miles on the sporty and the fx200 on the fl No puker factor. and my riding boots ain't real comfortable to walk in

Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be hard pressed to git 25 miles away from a gas station down here In central florida,,,
When my fuel light comes on I look for a Shell Station or some such busy place
that has good munchies and sells lots of gas.
I will drive right buy those old run down convinence stores run by people who
buy what ever gas Is cheapest,,If they are old an run down I figger the
tanks In the ground are a mess an prolly got alot of water In em,,,,

You Guys In BIG country got It lucky,,
If I find a road with nothing on it for 25 miles I feel like I'm on another planet..