Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 xlt ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 xlt ?????????

hello everyone. i just picked up a 1977 sportster. i was online trying to break down the vin to find out the model code and it came up as a XLT i have not been able to find out too much info on the xlt except for a couple of small articles. they both said it was suppose to be a sportster touring model.....saddle bags, bigger tank, bigger seat. there were only 1099 made. the thing i want to know is if i should try to do a full restore on it or should i just go for the bobber i wanted to do. the two articles i read said the bike was rare but i dont know if it's a good rare or a bad rare. please help me...the bike is just sitting and i want to get busy with it either way.....lol any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

I never heard of an "XLT" until I read your post.
I had a 76 XLCH ( boy that was a long time ago ) and it served me well.
Here's a link that might help!
http://www.sportyspecialties.com/article3.html

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I never heard of an "XLT" until I read your post.
I had a 76 XLCH ( boy that was a long time ago ) and it served me well.
Here's a link that might help!
http://www.sportyspecialties.com/article3.html
Hey Larry.....thanks for the link. i checked it out and the funny thing is that it was one of the articles i found.....lol dosen't seem to be too much on them. it seems like all the did was bolt on some extra parts but i think it was probably the same as your XLCH. frow what i have read it looks like it was a big flop for harley. thanks again

Old 02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSki
hello everyone. i just picked up a 1977 sportster. i was online trying to break down the vin to find out the model code and it came up as a XLT i have not been able to find out too much info on the xlt except for a couple of small articles. they both said it was suppose to be a sportster touring model.....saddle bags, bigger tank, bigger seat. there were only 1099 made. the thing i want to know is if i should try to do a full restore on it or should i just go for the bobber i wanted to do. the two articles i read said the bike was rare but i dont know if it's a good rare or a bad rare. please help me...the bike is just sitting and i want to get busy with it either way.....lol any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Well lets see some pics of it, sounds like a nice machine. I just looked at picture of it in my service manual. I would definitely restore it to original.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 PM
nciron883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely go for the resto man .. you could flip it for enough to chop something up .. SAVE THAT BIKE!!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i have never heard of a xlt,but have heard of a sportster touring..it sounds rite..the touring sportster was the first electric start sporty 67-70..the only electric 900.i had several dealers tell me it never existed..thought it went away in 70.i pieced a bike togeather once and had to find a primary cover for one..paid $150 13 years ago,have only seen one cover since..i would restore..it would probaly bring enough money to build two(or a 1 really nice)bobbers..or better yet,keep it,they arnt making any more antique bikes

Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts
Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blackcherry Low
Well lets see some pics of it, sounds like a nice machine. I just looked at picture of it in my service manual. I would definitely restore it to original.
i just joined the site and still trying to figure it out....i was able to make an album and i have some pics of her in there. you can't miss it......IT'S PURPLE!!!!....lol not so much worried about the paint or anything cosmetic. i do alot of that myself. just happy it runs good. i must say......that is one sweet ride you got there...hope mine gets there someday.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:30 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nciron883
definitely go for the resto man .. you could flip it for enough to chop something up .. SAVE THAT BIKE!!
Thats what i was thinking....it's a pretty good base, but it's gonna need alot of work. with all of the extra bolt on stuff that came on it all that is left is the tank. hopefully i will be able to find the rest of the original equiptment.....seat, wind shield, bags and brackets, and whatever else. i missed getting the bags on e-bay last week...i fell asleep like a loser and missed the end of auction......lol better luck next time. i do think i am leaning towards the resto. thanks for your input.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate

i keep hearing to do the resto....looks like thats what im gonna wind up doing. i was at a HD dealer today and i ran it by them and they never heard of it. that make me think that it is pretty rare, but gonna be a pain in the a$% to find parts. my problem is that im like a little kid and i wanna do things right now...lol i guess i'm gonna have to get over it.

Quick Reply: 1977 xlt ?????????