Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 xlt ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 83XLX
Originally Posted by j1mmy
i have never heard of a xlt,but have heard of a sportster touring..it sounds rite..the touring sportster was the first electric start sporty 67-70..the only electric 900.i had several dealers tell me it never existed..thought it went away in 70.i pieced a bike togeather once and had to find a primary cover for one..paid $150 13 years ago,have only seen one cover since..i would restore..it would probaly bring enough money to build two(or a 1 really nice)bobbers..or better yet,keep it,they arnt making any more antique bikes
Thanks for the pic...the only other one i have is from a magizine i bought from e-bay. bought it from the UK. the bike is on the front cover and the did an article and a road test on it.......i had to buy it....lol i raed an article somewhere else that said the were gonna try to use these as police bikes....thats why they were elecrtic start. i guess i will figure it all out sooner or later....this site is great! getting alot of help already. thanks.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSki
i keep hearing to do the resto....looks like thats what im gonna wind up doing. i was at a HD dealer today and i ran it by them and they never heard of it. that make me think that it is pretty rare, but gonna be a pain in the a$% to find parts. my problem is that im like a little kid and i wanna do things right now...lol i guess i'm gonna have to get over it.

Ironheads are not hard to find parts for, you still have the tank and I've seen the bags, seat and windshield for sale on ebay. I found a beautiful stock seat for my 75 XLCH on ebay and didn't pay a fortune for it. The XLT Looks like the same thing as an XL with the tank, bags and windshield. But the cool thing is you've got the VIN to prove it's an XLT.

Last edited by Blackcherry Low; 02-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blackcherry Low
Ironheads are not hard to find parts for, you still have the tank and I've seen the bags, seat and windshield for sale on ebay. I found a beautiful stock seat for my 75 XLCH on ebay and didn't pay a fortune for it. The XLT Looks like the same thing as an XL with the tank, bags and windshield. But the cool thing is you've got the VIN to prove it's an XLT.
i must say that i was a little excited when i finally figured out what it was ...pretty cool to have a story with a bike....but at the same time im a little disappointed cause when i first went to look at the bike i had a vision and now i'm doin a total 180....lol

Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Cool bike, definitely save it! My uncle also has a '77, the odd thing being it's electric start only. Not even a place to install a kicker.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95th 1200
Cool bike, definitely save it! My uncle also has a '77, the odd thing being it's electric start only. Not even a place to install a kicker.
is his a XLT too? because mine only has electric start as well. i know that the xlt's came with electric only, but i think there was another model that year too....not sure which one. it might have been the XLCR

Old 02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

is his a XLT too? because mine only has electric start as well. i know that the xlt's came with electric only, but i think there was another model that year too....not sure which one. it might have been the XLCR
Hey Mike, there's a guy over on the XLF that has an XLT all refurbished, check it out, his screen name is ericfreeman.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
MikeSki
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blackcherry Low
Hey Mike, there's a guy over on the XLF that has an XLT all refurbished, check it out, his screen name is ericfreeman.
Thanks alot bro. i appreciate you taking the time to help me out. gonna go check him out now. thanks again.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

From around '68 or '69 on, the XLCH was the only Sportster to have a kickstart. The XLH and its variants (like the XLT) were electric start only.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

Thanks alot bro. i appreciate you taking the time to help me out. gonna go check him out now. thanks again.
Oh, the other thing I should mention is that you should jump over to the ironhead section here too. A lot of the guys from the XLF hang out there as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
grandparon45
Advanced

Is your bike like the one pictured? I have a set of bags and a superglide/sprint tank that look like the ones in the photo. I do not know if the bags are Harley or aftermarket though. Man I love those pipes! To get any help from a dealer, you will have to find one thats been around for a while, like from the early seventies. Congrats on your find!

Quick Reply: 1977 xlt ?????????