Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voltage questions, electrical experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default voltage questions, electrical experts needed

Hey guys....
Here's the deal, the bad weather recently killed my battery so I have to buy a new one.
Now I am also about to add a stereo system made for Harleys that advertises it has a 2-3 amp draw.
After doing some quick research I found that our batteries (nightster) are 2 amp with 220cca and 12v
So I am wondering, how do people add all the accesories to their bike like stereos, gps's, extra lighting etc without draining the battery?
If the battery is only 2 amps and the accesory/s are pulling more amps that what can be supplied to charge the battery.

I know I am missing something because I have seen people with loadeed bikes with electonic add ons and are still keeping their bikes on the road without battery issues.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, your battery is not a 2 amp battery. It is probably a 20 amp-hour battery. Amp-hour is a way of rating battery capacity. Most motorcycle batteries are in the 18-22 amp-hour range.

See the attached link for some more information about battery ratings.

http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html

Second, once you start the bike, all the electrical energy is supplied by your charging system. The battery is only used to start the bike. Once running, the charging system replenishes the charge in the battery used to start the bike and also supplies all the electricity used to run accessories, such as lights, stereo, etc. Cars work the same way.

The only time the battery comes back into play when running is when you sit somewhere with the engine idling, as the charging system needs a few RPM to put out maximum voltage.

Your owners manual should give you the capacity of your charging system which can be used to help determine how many accessories you can add but just adding a radio should not exceed bike's capacity.

How did the bad weather destroy your battery? Did it go dead because you haven't been riding? If so, you need to look into the purchase of a battery maintainer, such as the Battery Tender brand of products.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Billy Blaze
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey thanks a lot for that info, it helps me a lot.
The battery was on its last leg, I crank it everyday and ride in the winter as well...it's just given up the ghost. I guess I did alright its been on the bike since late 07

p.s. the factory battery is a 12amp hour and 200cca my mistake