Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to make one myself, but went with the Mr Gasket version instead (the backing plate was chrome instead of silver). It was about $4 more, but I like the chrome better. Only other differences are that it uses a 6mm bolt instead of a 1/4-20 one, and the face plate is a little different (has a little ring in the middle around the bolt hole). I also dyed the filter black

This is on a 2002 Softail, so it's for Twin Cams too

Back plate installed. Didn't want to take any chances here so I used loctite and lock washers. I did not use any other backing plate behind it, simply a gasket. I love how it doesn't stick out

Name:  ai1_zpsd09e23a3.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  145.2 KB

All installed

Name:  ai2_zpscaf558a5.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  153.3 KB

Name:  ai3_zps617da2c3.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  173.9 KB

Clearance

Name:  ai4_zps20b6fa80.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  89.1 KB

Dunno how it performs yet, bike still has some work to do before it's ready for the road (nearing the end of a major overhaul). I had a Hypercharger on there before, so this could only be an improvement. Plus I figure if the filter is open 360 degrees and is larger than the throttle body opening, it shouldn't be starving it for air. I also love how much more open the engine is now (I removed the horn and relocated the coil to open the other side up)

Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 PM
vikz250
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watch that thing that holds the filter, it's very flimsy..

Old 11-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Pacer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mreed...
Perfect

Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 AM
BFalvey
Advanced

Wondering .....???? Will this work out for my ride , I have a close loop efi 2014 forty eight . What would be needed? A tune up or will my computer sensor compensate for the air flow adjustment. I want rid of my GIANT HAM CAN!! But strap for cash! Any input would be greatly appreciated. FTW everyone

Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Scotty2
Intermediate

I'd like to know that too mate. My leg hits the filter housing sometimes. This mod looks loverly

Old 12-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Question, if I do this on my '90 883 with a ham can would I have to to anything to the carb besides mixture, if that? Also, do you adjust the mixture like a car w/a carb-dial it in until it stumbles then back it out?

Thanks,
Jim

Here is what I have:

This is a one of those Blue filters.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollbar
Question, if I do this on my '90 883 with a ham can would I have to to anything to the carb besides mixture, if that? Also, do you adjust the mixture like a car w/a carb-dial it in until it stumbles then back it out?

Thanks,
Jim

Here is what I have:

This is a one of those Blue filters.

you will prolly be good with just adjusting the 'low' mix at the screw on the bottom of the carb...if that doesn't do it for you will have to rejet the big (main) jet up one size....and to do the low speed adjustment, instead of screwing it in until it stumbles and then back out until better, screw it out until it does not run any faster, and then back in 1/8 turn or so....the way you were doing it is called 'best lean', what you really want is 'best rich'....it may take a couple of tries to get it perfect, and you may find you need to adjust the idle speed screw to keep the idle at the correct speed...and make sure the bike is completely warmed up before making any adjustments...changing the air cleaner to freeer breathing one usually doesn't effect the slow speed operation (and mix) as much as the hi speed operation (which is why you may need to go up one size in the main jet)...after you make the adjustment to the low speed jet take the bike for a hard ride up to hiway speeds, accelerating hard up to speed and listen for pinging during acceleration,,if it pings you need a bigger main jet...

Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mrfikser
you will prolly be good with just adjusting the 'low' mix at the screw on the bottom of the carb...if that doesn't do it for you will have to rejet the big (main) jet up one size....and to do the low speed adjustment, instead of screwing it in until it stumbles and then back out until better, screw it out until it does not run any faster, and then back in 1/8 turn or so....the way you were doing it is called 'best lean', what you really want is 'best rich'....it may take a couple of tries to get it perfect, and you may find you need to adjust the idle speed screw to keep the idle at the correct speed...and make sure the bike is completely warmed up before making any adjustments...changing the air cleaner to freeer breathing one usually doesn't effect the slow speed operation (and mix) as much as the hi speed operation (which is why you may need to go up one size in the main jet)...after you make the adjustment to the low speed jet take the bike for a hard ride up to hiway speeds, accelerating hard up to speed and listen for pinging during acceleration,,if it pings you need a bigger main jet...
Wow-Thank you very much.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mreed

It'll attach with the carb mount bracket bolts & the washers secure it tight.

Fitted

Does the hole (where there is not a mounting bolt) need to be left open or can it be covered.

Why did you leave it open-should we ('90/883 Sportster)?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. Received all the parts today

Old 12-16-2014, 05:06 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollbar
Does the hole (where there is not a mounting bolt) need to be left open or can it be covered.

Why did you leave it open-should we ('90/883 Sportster)?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. Received all the parts today
Float bowl vent. Blocking that off is bad carb ju-ju

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)