Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Cisco726
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my parts today!! Gonna get on this ASAP!! Went with the nhrs bracket, feels very solid and sturdy.

Last edited by Cisco726; 08-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:21 AM
jak1
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Re Sifton breather bolts

No one know then !!! No one done this !!!

OK jak here is what I would do. Put a bit of high temp flexible gasket seal between the bracket and the heads.

And for the Sifton breather bolts I would put the steel washer followed by the white plastic washer on the breather bolt first, and then put the bolt through the sifton breather and slip the clear plastic one on between it and the carb bracket.

Hope it works out mate.

Cheers

Jak...

Originally Posted by jak1
Hi all

I have the 2002 carb model 883. Can anyone tell me if I need to put a washer in between the head and the carb bracket.

I'm also using Sifton canister breathers, and am not sure about which washers go where There is one metal, one plastic and one clear plastic for each breather bolt.

http://www.vtwincatalog.com/dl/index...THER&dl_pg=924

Third pic down on the left under the heading "No Hoses Required"

If any one can advise I'd be grateful.

Cheers

jak...

Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi all

I have the 2002 carb model 883. Can anyone tell me if I need to put a washer in between the head and the carb bracket.

I'm also using Sifton canister breathers, and am not sure about which washers go where There is one metal, one plastic and one clear plastic for each breather bolt.

http://www.vtwincatalog.com/dl/index...THER&dl_pg=924

Third pic down on the left under the heading "No Hoses Required"

If any one can advise I'd be grateful.

Cheers

jak...
Most auto parts stores have 1/2 inch copper gaskets that work the best for all your joint connections. Be sure and recheck bolts for tightness after the first few runs.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 AM
jak1
Advanced

Yes thanks, good idea. Will get some copper crush gasckets.

Have to say though, I am Surprised no one here can tell me if I need a washer between the carb bracket and the heads !!!

Cheers

Jak...

Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 AM
misput
Tourer

Yes thanks, good idea. Will get some copper crush gasckets.

Have to say though, I am Surprised no one here can tell me if I need a washer between the carb bracket and the heads !!!

Cheers

Jak...
I did not mean copper crush gaskets although they will probably work, I just used plain copper gaskets and yes you need a gasket anywhere two pieces of metal join (6) if I remember correctly.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Prayinghands
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Great thread and info. Can't wait to tackle this myself. Thanks every one for their input!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 AM
jak1
Advanced

OK, thanks. But whats the (6) in brackets mean ?

Originally Posted by misput
I did not mean copper crush gaskets although they will probably work, I just used plain copper gaskets and yes you need a gasket anywhere two pieces of metal join (6) if I remember correctly.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
misput
Tourer

OK, thanks. But whats the (6) in brackets mean ?
It means I used a total of 6 washers. You may need more or less depending on how you are doing yours, just remember to put one everywhere two pieces of metal join.
How do those no hose breathers work? Do they have a place to collect some oil before it starts blowing out? Is there a plug at the bottom to drain them?

Unless your bike is one of the few that blows little or no oil you will probably end up routing it to the ground, I did.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Cisco726
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the DK breathers bolts and it seems they have two screens and a filter in between that would catch the little bit of oil that would come out. From what I understand it drains back down when you park and gravity kicks in. Just got this done yesterday so I'm not sure how well they work yet but I love the stripped down look. I'd post a pic but I have no clue how to from my phone. Too bad this site doesn't use Tapatalk, it makes it sooo much easier to post from your phone.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
jak1
Advanced

Originally Posted by misput
It means I used a total of 6 washers. You may need more or less depending on how you are doing yours, just remember to put one everywhere two pieces of metal join.
How do those no hose breathers work? Do they have a place to collect some oil before it starts blowing out? Is there a plug at the bottom to drain them?

Unless your bike is one of the few that blows little or no oil you will probably end up routing it to the ground, I did.

The oil is collected in the canisters, you just have to clean them out every so often. I chose them so that I would not have hose's running around the engine. You can see them in that V-Twin link I posted.

6 washers seems about right if I choose not to use them plastic ones that came with the breathers.

The reason I didn't know the order and correct place to fit these washers was because I bought them used off the net and can no longer get in touch with the seller. just hoped someone on here had the same breather set up and could have advised me.

Cheers
Jak...

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)