Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:27 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by curtis87
thats awesome, can you show a pic and what the set up includes for materials? Does make more sense. I like my set up but the oil is kinda ghetto for this day and age haha.
Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)-harley-breather-021.jpg I ordered the wrong kit, so I had to cut the chrome tube that goes across the top of the breather and used some steel braided hose I had and some 3/8 copper tubing. Chrome tubing all the way would look much better in my opinion but for right now this is working great. cHarley has what looks like what I am describing, maybe you can contact him for details, I would like to hear about his setup also.

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)-harley-breather-029.jpg

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)-harley-breather-010.jpg

Last edited by misput; 07-05-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Curtis87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man i checked out his thread on it. In conclusion, i see its completely normal in the function of sportys and how you deal with it is up to you. Kinda seems wrong that under stock circumstances oil is burned down the throttle body though haha. No wonder bikes stink the odd time when they're idling.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:14 AM
misput
Tourer

Originally Posted by Curtis87
Thanks man i checked out his thread on it.
Where did you find his thread?
In conclusion, i see its completely normal in the function of sportys and how you deal with it is up to you. Kinda seems wrong that under stock circumstances oil is burned down the throttle body though haha. No wonder bikes stink the odd time when they're idling.
Have you ever tried to burn synthetic oil in the fire? Compared to regular oil it is very difficult. I do not want that stuf gumming up my top end, my bike or me.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Curtis87
Intermediate

Originally Posted by misput
Where did you find his thread?
Have you ever tried to burn synthetic oil in the fire? Compared to regular oil it is very difficult. I do not want that stuf gumming up my top end, my bike or me.
No doubt eh

Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Curtis87
Intermediate

This has a lot of info on breather set ups.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...her-bolts.html

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM
misput
Tourer

This has a lot of info on breather set ups.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...her-bolts.html
Hello Curtis. I just noticed I have several post on that thread and cHarley also. His solution to the problem is not what I thought it was unless he has changed it by now. D K Custom swears his breather bolts are the answer. Maybe they are but I have my doubts. At that time I thought I had the problem solved but I did not, it takes a while to know for sure. I have proven to myself by piping the breather bolts to the rear of the bike that the problem is solved, even though I do get a drop of oil on the garage floor once in a while, hard to notice on my floor I am going to order the correct breather bolt connector kit and do mine like I explained to you earlier. Even though the steel braided hose gives sort of an old school look, it does not go with the rest of the bike. Besides I like to tinker and if I don't like it I will change it back.

I noticed in one of the post on the thread someone saying the hot air from the breather system going into the intake robs power, I know this to be true from my experience with light aircraft. Have fun and be careful, if that's possible

Old 07-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Curtis87
Intermediate

Ya the main thing is the oils off your bike. For me, i scratch my paint, i dont wax my bike... I like it clean but i like to be able to not worry about showroom b.s. and riding in the rain! So the bit of oil, whatever. My bolts are similar to DK ones i think (they have sponge filters and brass mesh filter) butttt the oil still comes through... I am happy to hear that i wont be robbing power so you say

Old 07-07-2013, 05:09 PM
misput
Tourer

Ya the main thing is the oils off your bike. For me, i scratch my paint, i dont wax my bike... I like it clean but i like to be able to not worry about showroom b.s. and riding in the rain! So the bit of oil, whatever. My bolts are similar to DK ones i think (they have sponge filters and brass mesh filter) butttt the oil still comes through... I am happy to hear that i wont be robbing power so you say
You are so right, just something interesting to think about and do.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Ah well could be worse right. I will say one thing , the breather bolts are spewing a verrry small bit of oil but hey ive read that everywhere too, kinda have to deal with it.
They are going to spew at least a little oil, after all the heads are breathing through them.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks man i checked out his thread on it. In conclusion, i see its completely normal in the function of sportys and how you deal with it is up to you. Kinda seems wrong that under stock circumstances oil is burned down the throttle body though haha. No wonder bikes stink the odd time when they're idling.
This is where the heads breathe. There are three ways to deal with it.
(1)Run the air through your carb/throttle body and burn it.
(2)Install breather bolts that let the air escape and deal with a little oil.
(3)or install different breather bolts and plumb them to a catch can for the oil.

I used a breather bracket that breathes internally back in the the carb and mounted a K&N 56-1400 ac assembly to it.
I have seen many bikes that completely eliminate the carb support bracket and just plumb the breather bolt/banjo or use the filtered breather bolts.

Last edited by motohaid; 07-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)