Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by streetsquirrel
Question,why do you need the chrome bracket,why can't it just mount to the holes in the carb or EFI directly?
Does not have to be chrome. You can get black ones HERE

On EFI models, some guys run without the support bracket. Unlike the carb models, the EFI throttle body is all bolted solid.

However, it is not a bad idea to have the extra support of the bracket to take some of the stress off the intake manifold.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Judge1989
You don't soak your air filter in oil the second way. Lol personally I vent to atmosphere. I am a function over fashion kinda guy tho.
Better performace to route to the atmosphere. Engines like cold dry air. When you route the hot oily air from the crankcase pressure back into the cumbustion chamber you will have reduced performance and reduced longevity of the engine due to carbon build up.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM
streetsquirrel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small cheap air cleaner

Thanks DK,I've purchased some of your products and I can say top quality stuff,excellent parts!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Orangeade
Stage III

Anyone managed to source the filter (or one like it) in the UK?

I've tried all the usually places -- Wilco, Halfords, independent motor factors and (of course) Ebay, and can't find anything like it anywhere. Lots of conical and pancake-type filters but nothing that comes with a backing plate, a lid and a filter within.

(BTW, yes, I've read through all 56 pages of the post.)

Been said many times but... thanks mreed for a great mod.

UPDATE: Okay found em (and the louvered ones). After much searching I discovered these are sold in the UK for aircooled VWs -- buses and bugs. VW performance and aftermarket parts suppliers is where to look in the UK.

Last edited by Orangeade; 09-14-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Xbuellrdr
Advanced

Alright gents I am a bit of a noob, but I was wondering if I needed to purchase anything other than the support bracket and a 4" cheapy filter. I have bought the filter and housing but I wanted to make sure prior to tearing into it.

My bike is a 08 nightster.

After reading through the thread some more I answered my own question..... I need to buy the mount with the crankcase venting hardware included!

Last edited by Xbuellrdr; 09-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Orangeade
Stage III

Also be aware that 'tearing into it' is a simple matter of undoing two, then three, then two more bolts to remove the stock filter system: two holding the outer cover, three 1/4-20 holding the filter to the back plate and throttle body mouth and two 1/2-13 holding the back plate to the cylinder heads.

If anything goes wrong, returning to stock is a simple matter of reinstating the ham can and tightening these bolts. You can even reuse the two fibre gaskets if you're careful.

Yes, you will need to construct (or buy) a breather system. Many opt for breather bolts or else tap two 1/2-13 bolts to accept npt-threaded breathers (used in the pneumatics industry).

Make sure you read through a sizeable proportion of the posts here before starting so that you're familiar with what's required/to do.

Good luck

Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Xbuellrdr
Advanced

Thanks Orangeade!! I already tore the intake down to the throttle bottle that was simple I just didn't want to try and put it back together incorrectly. Its getting to be winter here in the midwest so intake, exhaust, and bars are all on the list for winter mods.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 AM
jak1
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Orangeade

Would you mind sharing the web address where you have found them or the part number. I still cant find them in the UK.

Thanks

Jak...

Post 554.
UPDATE: Okay found em (and the louvered ones). After much searching I discovered these are sold in the UK for aircooled VWs -- buses and bugs. VW performance and aftermarket parts suppliers is where to look in the UK.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 AM
Constantine77
Intermediate

I just put this on my "next thing for my ride" list. Awesome idea!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Sikdvlz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would there be a difference in using the outer diameter of the mounting braket the weld a flang to attach an air cleaner instead of the inner dia? As far as air flow.

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)