Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mreed
It doesn't need to come off. Just rough it up. You can sandblast it down or just rub it out with paper.

I sandblasted this one down to the nickel & just let it age to get grungy.

What's the story on the pipes...?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 AM
notap123
Novice

Name:  bikejunk001-1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  141.3 KB

I love this DIY stuff, thanks Mreed!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Morgster
Stage II

I'm all set to do this, but I have a question. Do I leave the breather bolts out and plug the holes? Won't that build pressure on the heads?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Morgster
Stage II

I must be looking in all the wrong places, I cant seem to find the carb mount for under $100.00. Any links to a cheap one?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
fall0ut
Advanced

Originally Posted by Morgster
I must be looking in all the wrong places, I cant seem to find the carb mount for under $100.00. Any links to a cheap one?
i did this mod last week on my nightster. here is the carb mount i used. not sure if your bike is efi or carb. the kit comes with breather bolts, tubing, and a small filter.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
streetsquirrel
1st Gear

I have 2009 Iron EFI,will this work and what do you do with the crank case vents/breathers?o

Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Sensei Jim
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok heres my question???? I've read where some have problems with blow by oil getting down the side of the bike from the breather bolts. I've seen pictures of high dollar breathers with the breather tubes going into the breather. If I was to fab a tube that came out the back to connect the breather line to. Would there be a problem with it? or would it work? Or am I missing something all together? I know why, and what makes the oil come out of the bolts. I guess my worry is that It might suck oil out of my engine. Is there a check valve or something like on cars?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM
notap123
Novice

Originally Posted by Sensei Jim
Ok heres my question???? I've read where some have problems with blow by oil getting down the side of the bike from the breather bolts. I've seen pictures of high dollar breathers with the breather tubes going into the breather. If I was to fab a tube that came out the back to connect the breather line to. Would there be a problem with it? or would it work? Or am I missing something all together? I know why, and what makes the oil come out of the bolts. I guess my worry is that It might suck oil out of my engine. Is there a check valve or something like on cars?

The crankcase breathers are there for the event there is pressure built up in the case. if you run tubes into the aircleaner you make it wont force oil through, again the only thing that would is excess pressure on the case internally. There isnt enough drawn on the intake to force oil through the tubes. The only reason some are made like that is so they can utilize the filter for both the intake and the breathers.

If people are having issues with too much oil spittin out I would imagine they filled their engine too much with oil. I havent had an issue with the breather bolts.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
notap123
Novice

Originally Posted by streetsquirrel
I have 2009 Iron EFI,will this work and what do you do with the crank case vents/breathers?o
Yes it will work.

You can either buy breather bolts or fab a collar to run tubes behind the air cleaner. You could probably just run them to the back plate of the air cleaner as well.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM
notap123
Novice

Originally Posted by Morgster
I'm all set to do this, but I have a question. Do I leave the breather bolts out and plug the holes? Won't that build pressure on the heads?
Whatever you do do not plug the holes. Yes the pressure will do not so nice things.

Get breather bolts or make tube runs to your air cleaner some how.

This thread awnsered everything you need to know about this mod already. If anyone hasn't read it through, take the time, its worth it.

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)