Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:10 AM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been a bit rainy here the past couple of days and my bike is kept outside.
In the morning on the first start-up it has had a slight hesitation. In fact today it took a second push of the button to get her started, which hasn't happened before. Also another strange behavior was on the first throttle it had a bit of a lug.
I assume this is from the exposed paper filter and damp weather? The afternoon start up seems to go just fine.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
thoner7
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else noticed a drop in power since going to this setup?

I did this mod over the winter and have noticed the bike struggling a bit more than it had before, maining in 1st gear/getting off the line.

I wasn't sure if it was in my head or not so I put my SE cleaner back on and there was a noticable increase in power at low RPMs.

I am wondering if maybe the cheapo filter went bad (I only put ~1,000 miles on it since mid March) and I should get a K&N, or if this setup just isn't the best for performance in general? Thoughts? Potentially unrelated but the sound of the 'sewing machine' was much more pronounced with the SE too....?

FWIW: It's an efi bike with the Xied and Rush slip ons.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
thoner7
Tourer

Originally Posted by bmxatv
man i'm pissed. i really hoped that the breather bolts from dk were gonna solve my blow by issue and they haven't. it's a little more than mist now. i don't think i got this much with the hose and "baby filter" element. .....bummed.
A couple of ideas:
- Some others found a bracket which diverted the blowback back through the carb, same as the stocker or the SE would do, and there was no need for any special external breathers. They posted them in this thread of few pages back, I think they were paying 80-100 backs for the bracket. That should eliminate the symptoms of the blowback 100% and you could keep the look.

- try turning your breathers up rather than down, as they say sh*t runs down hill. I have two breathers turned up, and while I did have some oil blowback, it never got anywhere (although my breathers did yellow a tad from the oil). Here is a pic of what I was running, I used a brass fitting from Home Depot, I think a 1/2 or 3/8 inch MIP male end which was a tight fit over the stock breather bolts. You could connect these two a hose or two different breathers or whatever. It sounds like your problem is more severe though so I'm not sure if this would work.

PS: did you notice any power improvement going back to the ham can? I did and I am wondering if a K&N could get my performance back, or if I should avoid this setup completely....

Attached Thumbnails Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)-0304021345.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
thoner7
Tourer

Originally Posted by A Seabee
I really liked this idea, so decided to do it on my bike. I got the billet, internal breather carb mount kit from BKrider. Really nice. one place I had to improvise was under the billet mount, where it mates to the heads, I had to use some Toyota drain plug washers to seal things up. On the other end of the breather bolts, I was a little confused about the washers that were provided with the kit. Two thin steel ones and four thin mylar(?) ones. I just put one plastic and one steel on each bolt, and a drop of blue loctite. I had to remove the steel bracket that spans the breather holes, and has one allen bolt that attaches it to the IAC valve. It was too thick, and the gasket under the mount (@ the throttle body) would not seal with it in place, hence the oil drain plug washers. they are thin aluminum, with a teflon like coating, perfect thickness. The kit comes with two gaskets, one for under the billet mount, and one for under the filter base. The kit comes with nice stainless steel fasteners. The rest of the job is just like mreed demonstrated in his OP. I found the knurled **** right next to the autozone air filter.Not sure if I like it or not, may get an acorn nut. I'm still contemplating painting it, and if I do, might get some pinstriping or something on it. I also have a K&N filter coming. So, when it's all said and done, I'll probably have $120 into it, but think it beats $250 or more for a commercially marketed air cleaner kit.
^^^Like this guys Bracket bmx

Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thoner7
^^^Like this guys Bracket bmx
That's the one I have on mine and it works perfectly. No hoses or filters. No oil.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of ideas:
- Some others found a bracket which diverted the blowback back through the carb, same as the stocker or the SE would do, and there was no need for any special external breathers. They posted them in this thread of few pages back, I think they were paying 80-100 backs for the bracket. That should eliminate the symptoms of the blowback 100% and you could keep the look.

- try turning your breathers up rather than down, as they say sh*t runs down hill. I have two breathers turned up, and while I did have some oil blowback, it never got anywhere (although my breathers did yellow a tad from the oil). Here is a pic of what I was running, I used a brass fitting from Home Depot, I think a 1/2 or 3/8 inch MIP male end which was a tight fit over the stock breather bolts. You could connect these two a hose or two different breathers or whatever. It sounds like your problem is more severe though so I'm not sure if this would work.

PS: did you notice any power improvement going back to the ham can? I did and I am wondering if a K&N could get my performance back, or if I should avoid this setup completely....
well i solved it....i went and got a figure machine a/c. hands down the best a/c ive ever seen/used and the best 195$ i ever spent. i read about that bracket and almost did that then decided i'd be spending around the same so went with a proven product. not that this isn't proven mike, it works, just didn't work too well for my bike. every bike is different. this ac though has these neat little channels built into the "key like" washers that go behind the backplate mounting bolts that channel the excess oil back into the motor. i've been hammering it and a little residual film of oil is all i've seen so far. thanks though boys!

Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
thoner7
Tourer

So to ask again - has anyone noticed a loss in power with this setup? I was noticing the bike struggling more and went back to my screaming eagle and the bike runs better now, specifically at low RPM.

I am wondering if a K&N filter is the solution or if I should abandon this setup completely.

Last edited by thoner7; 06-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
well i solved it....i went and got a figure machine a/c. hands down the best a/c ive ever seen/used and the best 195$ i ever spent. i read about that bracket and almost did that then decided i'd be spending around the same so went with a proven product. not that this isn't proven mike, it works, just didn't work too well for my bike. every bike is different. this ac though has these neat little channels built into the "key like" washers that go behind the backplate mounting bolts that channel the excess oil back into the motor. i've been hammering it and a little residual film of oil is all i've seen so far. thanks though boys!
Can't fault you at all for that purchase. I've got their timer cover and it is a high quality piece of gear. And their customer service and shipping was superb. If I ever decide this fabbed up AC needs replacement I'll be going with figure machine as well. Good stuff.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

So to ask again - has anyone noticed a loss in power with this setup? I was noticing the bike struggling more and went back to my screaming eagle and the bike runs better now, specifically at low RPM.

I am wondering if a K&N filter is the solution or if I should abandon this setup completely.
I didn't notice any difference in performance when I switched. Seems to run exactly the same. I've got the cheapo paper element.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM
thoner7
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ergonight
I didn't notice any difference in performance when I switched. Seems to run exactly the same. I've got the cheapo paper element.
How long you had the cheapo filter on there? I couldn't ride the bike in 1st gear without giving it throttle, or it would lug back and forth. I didn't remember having this issue last year so I put the SE on and it rides much better.

mReed, any experience with this? I'd like to get back to your design.

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)