Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

umbrella valves? do tell. this is three years in the making and i'm fed up. i've tried everything and knowing that i have friends that ride sportsters and don't have this problem pisses me off even more. no one can give me a straight answer and pretty much everyone i ask just says, oh it's a sporty you gonna have to learn to deal with it. i don't like that answer. ROG isn't the first guy i heard say good things about the figure machine and the joker machine a/c's. i might just have to buck up and buy one and see what happens. sucks, i really like the setup i got right now but it's just not working. i hate being on the bike and worrying about how hard i'm riding it for fear i might have oil all over the fvcking place when i look down or worse, go to lean into a corner and lose a rear wheel cause the sidewall is soaked with oil.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
umbrella valves? do tell. this is three years in the making and i'm fed up. i've tried everything and knowing that i have friends that ride sportsters and don't have this problem pisses me off even more. no one can give me a straight answer and pretty much everyone i ask just says, oh it's a sporty you gonna have to learn to deal with it. i don't like that answer. ROG isn't the first guy i heard say good things about the figure machine and the joker machine a/c's. i might just have to buck up and buy one and see what happens. sucks, i really like the setup i got right now but it's just not working. i hate being on the bike and worrying about how hard i'm riding it for fear i might have oil all over the fvcking place when i look down or worse, go to lean into a corner and lose a rear wheel cause the sidewall is soaked with oil.
They do go bad, also have seen them not seated right from the factory.

Another thing that could be an issue is a problem with the cylinders. Have you had a leakdown test done?

My last new purchase was a 2011 twincam 103. From mile one there was something wrong with it....took multiple trips to the dealer to narrow it down. Finally did a leakdown test. They ended up replacing the cylinders AND rings. Cylinders were out of round!!!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 PM
IVthCrusade
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

posting for later. love the look of these.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:48 PM
cptbhern
1st Gear
Default Just finished my air cleaner today

I decided to get this done today. I bought the air cleaner a couple days ago and since it was a beautiful day outside I got busy.
It didn't take long at all.
I dyed the filter elements blue, using food coloring a couple days ago.
I think it looks good,definately better than the original ham can.

http://claspics.com/19ke19fg/h2fa6gu...73-504.jpg.php
http://claspics.com/19ke19fg/h2fa6gu...78-879.jpg.php

Last edited by cptbhern; 05-19-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks good!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM
jprater41
6th Gear

So I realize I'm beating a dead horse here and must apologize, but with this filter set up and some new custom pipes on the bike... Will installing the X14ied be enough or will the stealer need to take a look and tune her up?

Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
TheGarbon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bmxatv

My umbrellas seem not to be working that well either. I just replaced the my air cleaner for the express reason that after a long ride it would be drenched with oil. Being lazy and cheap and not wanting to remove my rear rocker cover I ordered a duckbill breather. I will be putting it on the end of the hose coming from my breather crossover pipe dodad. I run them on my singles and they work real well at keeping a negative pressure in the crank case and stopping oil blowage. Breather Hose on fleabay

Of course if I have excess blowby on my rings or something similar amiss inside there would be no cure but to tear the motor down, hopefully the breather valve will fix it.

Last edited by TheGarbon; 05-20-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM
MrCookie
Tourer

Just to bring this one up again. Mreed, do you know where I can get the breather bolts for the bracket? I broke one of mine yesterday putting it back on. Called Jireh and they don't have the bolt by it's self in stock. They said it was a generic kit that they get. I don't wanna pay $40 for a new bracket kit. I do like the breather bolts from DK, but still $40. I've had this breather on mine for the past year. Has worked fine other then the plastic gaskets it came with.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After the first ride after installation, I got oil blowback that sprayed on my seat and engine as well as on the pipe. I kept an eye on the DK breather bolts on the ride, and say oil pooling around the wire mesh.
I was all worried and wiped the oil off of the bike. Interestingly enough, I haven't seen any spray since then! Nothing to complain or worry about anyway.

So the very first ride after install I had signs of some oil spray, but since then haven't had anything to complain about. Maybe a tiny drop here or there, but I can't really tell if it's fresh or just residue left over from before.

So now I'm happy.

I only worry about riding in the rain now. Or leaving it outside in the rain for that matter since it's in a parking lot.

EDIT:
And wouldn't you know after just getting back from a ride I notice small specks of oil on my seat and surrounding area. I don't notice any on my pants (wearing black Levi's today) so all is well.

Last edited by blindrocket; 05-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 AM
whataboutbob
Advanced

great mod, after reading all of these pages I'm a little drained. Not sure if I'll try this or buy a complete kit from DK Customs.

Either way great write up Mreed and thank you for the awesome information.

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)