Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by simmy711
HOT:

On side stand the oil is hardly touching the bottom of the dip stick.

Straight-up, the oil is halfway up the dipstick
exactly the same as you, as mentioned in my post. side stand, barely touching the stick, straight up...halfway up the dipstick. i'm not doing anything different than anyone else. i'm so fvcking tired of this **** you have no idea.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

alright, i think i'm going back to the ham can. that's about the only air cleaner that didn't do this ****. aarrrgggghhhhh.....

Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmxatv
alright, i think i'm going back to the ham can. that's about the only air cleaner that didn't do this ****. aarrrgggghhhhh.....
That sucks man! I hope you figure something out!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Dont have this issue on my figure engineering AC. I recently cleaned and reoiled the filter and noticed only a slight film of oil under the aft breather bolt. I keep my oil at full on the dipstick with bike on kickstand.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

^^^so when you check your oil (hot and on the stand) you're at full and no blow by whatsoever? wtf, how come every bike is different or everyone does a different thing on this? my buddy has a ness BS on his bike and no issues. i had one of those and that thing blew oil too. what to do, what to do.....

Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

There was a small film of oil under the breather for the rear cylinder, but nowhere near enough to accumulate into a drop. Ive had that on for about 1000 miles now. And yes I check it hot on kickstand, to full mark.

I didnt clean the film off......Ill go out and take a pic.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

fvck...looks like i might have to look into a figure machine a/c then....i just want to be done with this once and for all so i can hammer the damn bike without fear of oil all over me and the bike.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

You know now that I look at it more closely it almost looks more like finger smudges. But like I said, this is about 1000 miles. The figure machining is only a K&N unit.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

i believed you rog....your back plate is different though. it's specifically for an efi and it vents/breaths back through the backing plate. the back plate we're all using with this mod is a common cv carb backing plate hence the need to vent the oil thru a small filter or route to the ground (which is really ghetto). like i said, i had a ness BS, did the same thing. it's either go back to the lilttle filter/hose setup or get one made for an efi and try again. fvck!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
i believed you rog....your back plate is different though. it's specifically for an efi and it vents/breaths back through the backing plate. the back plate we're all using with this mod is a common cv carb backing plate hence the need to vent the oil thru a small filter or route to the ground (which is really ghetto). like i said, i had a ness BS, did the same thing. it's either go back to the lilttle filter/hose setup or get one made for an efi and try again. fvck!
I just got back from riding the bike pretty hard for 4 days. 300 miles today, half of it between 75-90 into a headwind. No oil on the bike. Oil level is a little below halfway between the top and bottom mark on the dipstick, measured cold on the jiffy.

With the Outlaw breather bolts, you can remove the c-clip and outer mesh, and double the filter media that is in there. Air cleaner foam from a lawn mower air cleaner will work well.

Have you checked your umbrella valves? No way should you be spitting that much oil. Would be pissing me off too.

Back a few years ago I had a RK, ran great, but no matter what I did it spit a lot of oil....I ended up running a hose all the way back to the end of the bike and putting a filter on it way back there....can't really do that on a sporty.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)